Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Writing more or less than you think?

I was moaning to my husband last week that I hadn't made much progress with my short stories. But memory is a fickle thing and he reminded me that I had written a couple - this he knows as I apparently told him I had. But where were they? At the bottom of my writing pile of course. I've grown out of a writing drawer and now have a writing pile(think the leaning tower of pisa) on the side of my desk. He was quite right - and I actually found two others that were in need of editing too. So, if you think you aren't writing much, it might be worth taking a look in a long forgotten corner of your writing drawer (or leaning pile). You never know what writing gem you might find!

I still haven't heard anything back on the few stories I've got out there at the moment but I know the only remedy to this frustrating wait is to get and write some more and get them out there! So that's what I'll be doing over the next few weeks as well as getting a good chunk of my journalism course done.

Happy writing!

Julie xx

16 comments:

HelenMHunt said...

I know the feeling! I have to keep checking my subs spreadsheet to prove to myself that I am really doing it and getting it out there!

Christine said...

Hope you hear something soon about your stories, Julie.

I think it's good to re-visit stories that have been put aside, but occasionally mine make me cringe when I give them a second look.

Diane Perry said...

Well done Julie for finding your stories - and the energy to keep sending stuff out! I have three big things out there at the moment and can't find the motivation to work on anything else, yet I know I must.
Hope you managed to decrease your leaning pile!
Love Di
x

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
I've got scribbled notes all over the place. I think I might just grab them and formulate a story out of my gibberish. Wait, I think I may have already done that lol
Seriously, I have looked through some of my old writing, that gathers dust, and thought that some of it is almost bordering on a writing 'gem'. There you go a little nugget of info from me.
Good luck with your 'leaning tower of Pisa'. Wishing you well with your ongoing writing quests.
With respect, Gary :-)

Simon Whaley said...

Always rummage your piles dear! That's happened to me a couple of times in the past (I'm more organised now!). In some ways it is quite annoying, whilst in other ways it is satisfying. And it's proof that our memories appear to be programmed for the negative, rather than the positive!

Julie P said...

It can be quite a nice surprise when you look back at your subs sheet can't it, Helen! We always want more writing time, though, don't we.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Christine

Oh I hate reading my earlier attempts at short stories - cringeworthy indeed! But we learn and improve (we hope!)

Julie xx

Julie P said...

My leaning pile is as tall as ever, Di! But that will change over the weekend as I am determined to sort my piles out (again!)

Good luck with the work you already have out there.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Gary

Pisa will soon be no more!

Julie xx

PS How are the newly weds?

Julie P said...

I seem to have periods of frantic pile rummaging followed by months of allowing them to grow again, Simon!

But I am determined to get to the bottom of them and tidy my workspace up. I also need to get my finger out and get writing!

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
The 'newly weds', according to the 'wee folks', are spending some quality time on the island nation of 'Lilliput' :-)

Julie P said...

Oh, I'm so pleased they are well and enjoying married life, Gary! Do give them my love.

Might we hear the patter of even tinier feet soon?!

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
I shall pass on your loving wishes to them. I have heard tiny whispers in my garden that they have been quite active over there on the island nation of 'Lilliput'.
So hmmmm lol
Magical wishes, Gary x

David said...

You're so right, Julie. It's all too easy to obsess about all the writing that we could be doing and to forget about the half-written and abandoned pieces languishing somewhere else. I'm terrible for starting new pieces and then abandoning them when I get stuck. Although I do (mostly) come back to them again...unless I feel they are unsalvageable!

Hope your sorting has gone well!
Dx

Julie P said...

Oh, Gary - so we might have 'news' soon! Tee hee! I feel like an excited prospective grannie!!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, David

The trouble with me is that I quite often get a few writing ideas at once (like buses!) and the urge to get them down on paper before I forget them takes over my urge to finish the half written pieces of work I've already started!

I must stop that - not good for a professional writer! I now have five short stories at first draft stage and hope to get at least three of them up to standard so I can sub them before the school hols start (2 weeks).

The sorting will go well when I start it - probably in the school hols, moe time then and I won't be trying to do three things at once!

I have a chattering monkey brain at the moment - well most of the time if I'm honest!

Good luck with your writing
Julie xx