Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 23 August 2010

We're worth it.

I'm typing this on Red Rupert. I thought it was about time he had an outing and had his debut on my blog. We are still in the honeymoon period of our relationship at the moment but I'm sure, as time goes on, we will both find little quirks that we once found endearing that through the passage of time now irritate the hell out of us!

I'm supposed to be talking about motivation and in a way I am because this is where Red Rupert comes into his own. There was method in my madness at purchasing Red Rupert and it wasn't just because I wanted a spare computer lest my original one failed. Neither was it just because I wanted an ultra mobile netbook I could fit into my bag and go off- roading with. It was also because I needed motivating and by treating myself to a netbook the theory was that because Red Rupert was so lovely and convenient  I would therefore be inspired and motivated to write more. And it has worked wonderfully.

I no longer have to wait what feels like hours for my old computer to get its act together and power up. I am good to go in a matter of minutes. It's so liberating! Yes it involved the outlay of a bit of money (but that's where a tax rebate comes in handy!) I think we writers deserve to treat ourselves occasionally. It boosts our self esteem, encourages us to write and makes our writing lives happier and easier to manage. Well that's my excuse anyway. So if you're feeling demotivated, sluggish and uninspired treat yourself to something you fancy. It doesn't have to be something big or expensive: a pen, note book, novel, non-fiction book - whatever, as long as it makes you happy and gives you a psychological lift.It also makes the constant rejections sweeter to deal with!  Anything that makes you want to run back to your computer or rip open your new pad of paper and start a writing frenzy will do. Your writing will thank you for it.

After three everyone: one, two, three  ...... come on writers, lets say it. We're worth it.

Happy writing (and shopping)

Julie xx

12 comments:

Martin H. said...

Great to hear that Red Rupert is living up to expectations. I like the idea of writers treating themselves occasionally.

Jayne said...

Hehehe, lovely to meet you Red Rupert...we've heard so much about you! I completely agree with the 'treating' ourselves aspect too. I'm a sucker for stationery, I think a lot of us writers are, so a new pen or fancy notebook really lifts me no end! And yep, we ARE worth it :)

Simon Whaley said...

And don't forget to throw your head from right to left, to let your hair swing round, as you say it!

Julie P said...

Oh Red Rupert is lovely and he's making my writing life just that little bit easier, Martin. I think you're right - we should treat ourselves every now and then. It's a little boost that keeps us motivated to write.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oooh, don't get me started on stationery, Jayne, especially now all the 'back to school' goodies are on offer! I have banned myself from Staples store - too tempting.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I don't think my hair will do much swishing now since I had it cut, Simon - but I could always borrow my daughter's bright pink 'Stephanie' wig! I'll lend it to you if you like.

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Hi Julie, Bluey would like to say hello! I am so glad you have treated yourself, my little netbook is fab too, he's a very cool blue and he loves to travel everywhere with me. Room to room and even to work, the little chap is there for me, he's so cute. I wonder what would happen if Red Rupert and Bluey met?

Di xxx

Julie P said...

Well hello Bluey! I bet you'd be great pals with my Rupert! I love blue and I should imagine you are a really handsome chap.

We'll have to introduce them to each other at the next Wrekin Writer meeting, Di!

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Oh yes, shall we bring them to the next meeting, we could do a nice little photo shoot of our little writing friends - Bluey is so up to meeting Rupert! Where would we be without them?
Di xx

jenny wilson said...

sounds like a great investmentx

Suzanne Jones said...

I'm glad you and Red Rupert are happy together.

XX

Sue Ross said...

Julie and Diane,
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a slight possiblity that you are ...just a teensy bit crackers.