Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 28 October 2010

Back to Earth with a Bump!

Go to fullsize image

I just new it. After all the excitment of the past couple of days when I got my first UK short story sale, it was back to Earth with a bump this morning. The postman brought me a short story rejection from Woman's Weekly. And, to rub salt in the wound, he also brought me the new issue of  Woman's Weekly's Fiction Special!  Oh it did make me laugh! It was, 'Here's the magazine you can't get your short stories into, and to prove it here's a rejection!

Enough said!

Julie xx

10 comments:

Bernadette said...

Isn't that just typical?

Don't forget the seed though. After yesterday it should be 'Here's the magazine I haven't got into YET'. :)

Carole Anne Carr said...

Don't take it to heart, Julie, it is notoriously difficult to get anything accepted in that magazine, you need to study their particular style or quirks of writing for many issues, and then you may hit lucky. Hugs. .xx

Heather P said...

Hi Julie;
Rejection sucks for sure but maybe the universe is trying to tell you to submit to another genre? I see you as never giving up so know that I'm rooting for you.

Julie P said...

The seed is still there, Bernadette! I'll probably gat another rejection from them soon as they have another two of mine under consideration.

I do like a challenge, though!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole,

I've read that magazine for many, many issues but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I still don't know what they want! For me, it seems to be a case of waiting for the right story to evolve - it obviously hasn't arrived yet, but I'll keep trying. I've lost count of the number of rejections I've had from them, but it won't stop me from trying!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Heather,

I'm not really that bothered (the acceptance from The Weekly News more than made up for any rejections!) It's just that I've tried with Woman's Weekly so many times now, I've been conditioned (like Pavolv's dogs) to expect a rejection!!

I'm beginning to think that maybe their style of story isn't my thing. But then other writers get their stories across the range of magazines so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to if I work on it.

It's definitely a challenge and a half!

I think I'd probably faint if I ever did get one published in there.

Julie xx

Rob Innis said...

That's the roller coaster ride of a writer! Glad you saw the funny side.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Rob - oh yes it's a very up and down and twist around kind of job isn't it! What else could I do but laugh!

Here's to the next sale!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

And when you receive a letter from Woman's Weekly accepting your story, on the same day you receive the next issue of the magazine, your joy will be that much greater :-), now you have this experience!

Julie P said...

If only, Simon! ;0)