Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 22 October 2010

A new Start

We've been talking about and doing lots of activities about Diwali today in school. Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights (we definitely need more light at this time of year!)We've read a story about Ravana the ten-headed demon and the battle between good and evil, light and dark. Then we went outside and chalked our rangoli designs onto the playground. It was fascinating and I certainly learned a thing or two as well as the children! I also had my first NVQ assessment which went very well (thank you God for What's the Time Mr Wolf!)

All this talk of lights, colours, celebrations, fireworks and the triumph of good over evil has got me in the writing mood. And after the Wrekin Writer workshop last Saturday, where we were treated to a wonderful talk full of writing advice and we did some writing activities run by author Lynne Barrett-lee and it was just so inspiring I just can't help it but want to write. If you ever have the opportunity to attend a workshop or hear an author speak then do it. What you learn from them will be invaluable.

So look around you at what is happening in the world today: the celebrations such as Diwali, the Chilean miners' rescue and recovery, the disasters such as the cholera outbreak in Haiti, the consequences of the floods in Pakistan. Watch the news, read the papers (channels and papers you wouldn't normally read). Get a flavour for what's going on and see if you can use the emotions it engenders in you to write something: a play, a short story, a poem, or maybe even the seed of a novel. You never know what snippet of news will provide you with the germ of an idea for your writing. Human emotion - something we can all identify with should be at the heart of what we write.

This weekend I'm setting you (and me!) a challenge. Pick a current news story and tease out the emotion you feel when you read it: anger, happiness, relief, puzzlement, concern, anxiety. Write down a couple of key words from that news story and how it make you feel and see if it will inspire you to write something. It doesn't have to take long but it should motivate you to write. You never know, you might write something great!

Happy writing!

Julie

6 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

An excellent idea, Julie, I'm sure that will stimulate many people to get involved. Hugs...

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Another very good article you have submitted here with some excellent ideas for those who are serious about writing.
There has indeed been a lot of emotion packed news items over the last couple of weeks. We have also seen stories of humanity at its finest. The vision of the Chilean miners and the human and very touching personal stories of resilience, faith and hope, are indeed an inspirational catalyst to get those creative writing talents, flowing.
Here's wishing you the very best in your challenge to write a story about a current news story.
Have a lovely weekend.
In kindness, Gary x

Diane Perry said...

A wonderful post Julie, and what a great idea with all the mad, sad and odd news that we see every day. I have something allready as when I was watching the news this morning they were interviewing a chap about the spending review, suddenly in the background a couple walked past leading a Donkey! It was hilarious and after worrying about what may happen with my job, all I could think about was that little creature being led down the street. Brilliant! Will look out for more I feel so inspired after last weeks workshop.

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole.

I hope so! I went out today and got a paper especially to browse and see if I can come up with something!

We must mert up again soon - I owe you some cake!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary,

There are so many conflicting emotions and, on one end of the spectrum joy, whilst at the other end, tradgedy. So I'm hoping to be able to harness that and write something that captures one or the other of these emotions but on a lesser scale.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I can't stop laughing about that poor donkey either, Di, and I didn't even see it! I bet it was so funny.

So there you are, Di. Got to be a good story in that somewhere!

Julie xx