Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 1 November 2010

NaNo thought of the day 1st Nov

Attempt NaNO when you've come down with a virus at your peril! Mind you, with my virus infected mind, where I'm half way between insanity and lucidity, I might just write something spectacular! Who needs alcohol when germs do the trick just as well! Or not.

But that's part of the point of today's post: you don't have to write perfect prose (I couldn't today, or most days if the truth be known.) By all means have a sketchy plan that you can refer to every once in a while to keep you on track, but don't stress about it. It's much more fun when you don't know what the hell you're doing or where you're going with it. It makes life much more interesting. It worked for me last year.

Someone pass me the lemsip, please.  Go to fullsize image

Happy NaNo!

Julie xx

10 comments:

Sue Ross said...

Hope you'll soon be feeling better Julie.
I see you've got your little counter going.
I still haven't managed to work it out yet!

Julie P said...

Hi, Sue! I feel a lot better this evening. Still sniffling and dizzy but got to keep going!
NaNo stops for no-one.

I sent you e-mail with instructions on how to get your word counter on your blog - once you get the hang of it it's easy. I couldn't do it last year for ages!!

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hope you'll feel better soon.. hugs..xx

Sue Ross said...

Yes I got the email, thanks.
It's the actual embedding it into the blog I'm having trouble with Julie. It will be something really simple I'm missing.
No worries. I'll get it eventually.
It's my age you know.

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole,

Thank you. I was back in school today so I'm feeling about 70% my normal self! Hoping to be at least 95% by Friday ready for retreat.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I hope you've managaged to sort it now, Sue. I don't think it's an age thing, m'dear, as I had trouble too!

Julie xx

Lucy Westenra said...

May I join with your other commenters to hope you will soon be completely well again.
I am very new to blogging, with an interest in "creative" or "imaginative" writing. Can you tell me (briefly) what "nano" is/means/stands for. I'v come across the term quite a lot on blogs whose authors declare an interest in writing.

Nari said...

Feel better! Good luck with it, and keep those lemsips stocked up. x

Julie P said...

Hi, Lucy and welcome. I'm fine now, if a little tired. Just one of thoe horrible bugs that are around at the moment.

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month (I think!.) It started off in America - hence the national bit. But it is now gloriously international. Their website is www.nanowrimo.org. Take a look, if you haven't already - it's good fun.

The aim is to write 50,000 words over the 30 days of November. It's intense writing but fun - no-onw cares about perfection. It's word quantity not quality that counts!

Julie

Julie P said...

Hi, Nari

Welcome. Yes I'm much better now, thank you. Still very tired but getting there!

Julie