Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 30 December 2010

New Toy

I have a new toy for the New Year to help my writing endeavours along. I should have got one ages ago and I have no idea why I didn't. Anyway, there it is, shiny and untarnished, stuck on the inside door of my computer cabinet. I'm a compulsive list maker and the top of my computer cabinet is covered in both old and new lists that I haven't looked at again since I made them! I write writing agendas each week so I know where I'm headed with my writing and what I want to achieve over the week. Now it all sounds rather organised and impressive until you realise that despite my best intentions when I write them, I hardly ever follow them!

That's why I took the drastic step of purchasing my new toy. It's one of those wipe clean white boards.There was one large and two small boards in a pack for £3 from Staples. They are for kids really, but when I saw just how much the bigger, more sturdier ones were I almost had an attack of the vapours!  I figured I could write my lists on there and wipe each item on the agenda off as I've achieved them, rather than accumulate endless paper lists. It might even save on trees too. If you haven't got one then maybe it might be a good idea to have one. I know of writers who use them to plan out their novels and timelines etc. If it works for them, it might work for you and me too! I'm keen to try anything that might make my writing life easier.

All I've got to do now is buy a whiteboard pen (I gave the one that came in the pack to my dad for his white board!)

Now I've taken the Christmas tree and decorations down, my next plan of attack is to get rid of the hundreds of magazines I have (hurrah, my husband shouts!) My theory is that if I de-clutter my work space I'll de-clutter my brain and write better. Plus I'll be able to find things more easily and stop wasting valuable writing time searching for things.

Happy New Year and I hope your writing dreams come true in 2011

Julie xx

8 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

It's hard to get rid of those magazines, though isn't it - I need to have a clearout, too, but I keep putting it off.

Hoping your writing dreams also come true in 2011.

XX

Diane Perry said...

Wonderful Julie, you are not only going green and helping the environment but giving your creative energy some space to move around without the clutter!
Good luck for 2011, I think it will be a good one for you.

Caroline said...

A White Board is on my list of things to get. we're moving soon (fingers crossed) and I'm going to have the 3rd bedroom as an office. Much better than the laptop sitting on my lap in the living room as I have now! So no excuse not to get a White board now. Caroline x

Julie P said...

I've had the mags for a while now, Suzanne, and they were doing absolutely nothing but gathering dust and making the place look untidy! I feel better now they've gone.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Di!

It's amazing the difference it's made already. Lets hope 2011 is a great year for all of us.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I hope the move goes well, Caroline. That's next on my agenda too - making my third bedroom into an office too! I've been wanting to do it for years. You've kicked me into action! May you and your new whiteboard (when you get it) have a great relationship! Mine's not been written on yet but it will be tomorrow when I get the pen.

Julie xx

Nari said...

The whiteboard is an excellent idea, and it sounds like you're in for a good year of writing, Julie.
Here's to getting organised!
Nari X

Julie P said...

It's so wonderful, Nari. I even bought a pack of different coloured whiteboard pens too! I have now written on it and it's such a help.