Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 10 January 2011

Bio

Today I've been thinking about biographies. I don't mean the full book version, I mean mini biographies, the type you write for Facebook, Blogspot, Twitter and the like. The sort you might put in your pitches to give the editor a flavour of what you are about. They are short but sweet and every word must earn its place and show the editor your best side.So every word you use has to be relevant and make you stand out from the crowd. It has to give the editor/readers/followers a feel for what kind of a writer you are and what you can do. Its a chance to sell yourself.

I know I feel a little self conscious when I'm trying to write my own mini bio but this is not the time to be a shrinking violet. If you don't big yourself up, it's unlikely that anyone else will! So throw your inhibitions and nervousness aside, sit down with pad and paper and write down a few words that best describe you and your writing. Make a note of all of your writing achievements, any publications you may have had and then pick out the more pertinent ones and try putting them into sentences to make a paragraph that is going to see you sparkle and shine and show the best of you.

Treat it like an application form, the bit where you are invited to write any other information to support your application. What can you say that will catch the editor's eye and fill them with confidence that you are the writer they want to commission? Be dynamic and positive. If you are fairly new to writing and haven't yet got much of your work published, don't let this put you off. Use this to your advantage and use your experience and knowledge of the subject you are writing about to hook the editor. Most editors love pitches from 'experts' or someone with some experience of what they want to write about. Use anything that shows the editor you know what you are talking about and are professional. Remember that every writer has to start somewhere. I did lots of writing for free in the local community magazines, The Link (NAWG publication), and a local newspaper, which gave me something useful to put in my bio  -  the editors I pitched to could see I had been published before which helped my case.

Even your blog could come in useful, if you use it to discuss your writing. If you put your blog address at the end of your bio, or at the end of all your e-mails to editors, some editors will take a look and, if they like your style of writing they may just commission you. So your bio is an important marketing tool for you and your writing. Think long and hard about it and get it right  -  it could make all the difference to your chances of publication.

Happy writing


Julie
Look at other people's bios and learn from them.

2 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

I really dislike writing bios. I never know what to say. And as you say those few words are very important x

Julie P said...

They are so hard to do aren't they, Teresa!

Julie xx