Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 15 January 2011

New Year, New experiences

It was a cracking Wrekin Writer meeting today and I was so pleased to see the usual faces and a few new comers too. Writing groups are like the seasons, constantly changing and evolving, bringing new life in. It's a good thing that keeps the group alive and vibrant. It really is like coming home going to those meetings, in the company of old friends. We are like a huge extended family! Something precious and something we are so lucky to have.

As it was the AGM there were some big changes as both the Chairman and vice-chair stood down. We now have Darren at the helm as Chairman and I made the decision to run as vice-chair! I'm not sure what we've let ourselves in for but I'm sure it's going to be an interesting ride! I also came 2nd in the Wrekin Writer of the Year comp  -  bonus! Thank you, Di, competition points keeper  -  the pens and bookmarks are wonderful  - should keep me writing and reading. And thank you what you said about me too, Di! Well done to Jan and Sue who came 1st and third respectively. Not a bad Saturday morning all round. Then I went for lunch with a fellow Wrekin Writer in Wenlock which was lovely. We had a good old catch up and we're both fired up to get going with our writing projects  - can't be bad.

So, if you can, get out there and meet with fellow writers who are on your wavelength  - it will do you the power of good.

Julie xx

9 comments:

John Baird said...

Just become chair of a writers' group myself, www.newwritersuk.co.uk Any advice gratefully received.

Simon Whaley said...

The first meeting in January always seems such a long time since the December meeting (which I suppose if right considering it's at least five weeks!). But it's interesting isn't it - as a group we really seem to gel.

It was good to see those new faces too.

klahanie said...

Dear Julie,
Must be most inspirational being involved with fellow writers.
Wishing you well as the power of good will continue to strengthen.
Happy writing, Julie.
Positive wishes, Gary
x

Diane Perry said...

It was a great meeting wasn't it Julie? I always feel so fired up by it all and you are right that by mixing with other writers, we sort of feed off each other with all that writing energy. I can't wait to take to my writing den today and do as much writing as possible.

Julie P said...

Congratulations, John - hope you enjoy the experience! We are very much a work in progress I think. Looking forward to being Vice chair though.


Julie xx

Julie P said...

I know we are lucky with the grop we have aren't we, Simon! We're all crazy that's why.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thank you, Gary. Yes, I find the other members of Wrekin Writers to be so inspirational. We eg each other on, which is what some writers need - I know I do!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di,

The energy and positive vibes from the group are addictive aren't they! Keeps me going for the next month until the next meeting.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oooh, by the way, Di,

I picked up a copy of Practical Poetry today in Tesco - saw your wonderful article. Well done girl!

Julie xx