Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 3 January 2011

The Only Way

Here's my top tip for 2011. It's simple but effective and will catapult you further towards your writing goals. So here goes:

Every day, for how ever long you have to spare, be it ten minutes or an hour or longer, find the nearest seat, adhere your bottom to it and write something. It doesn't matter what you write as long as you get into the habit of writing everyday. It soon mounts up and before you know it, by the end of the week  you might have a poem, a short story, a short play or the first chapter of your novel!

Many writers have suggested this writing tip before so I can claim to be the originator, but I can tell you that it works for me. I've been extremely frustrated over the past month having been laid low a couple of times with flu and all those other wonderful winter bugs, of which I'm still recovering from now. I'm still very tired and all of this has had a negative impact on my writing in that I haven't done much. But since I've felt better, I've finished one chapter of my NaNo novel and, even though I didn't really feel like it, today I've done an entire 1141 word chapter. It just shows what you can do if you put your mind to it, sit sown and write.

So come on everyone  -  stop making excuses as to why you can't write  - I know I've made a few of those! Okay, illness is an acceptable method of procrastination, but it's important, once your well, to get back on the writing wheel. If you want to be a published writer you have to make it a priority, no matter what your other commitments are, and make time to write. I've had an incredibly busy 2010 with lots of other non-writing things going on, so I'm making a pledge today that this year I will take every writing opportunity I can find and write. There is so much I want to achieve with my writing this year that I will only accomplish if I write  -  who else is going to sign the pledge to find time to write?


Happy writing

Julie xx

16 comments:

HC Clarke said...

A very worthwhile piece of advice Julie! I have heard something similar in the past. Certainly, as one of this years resolutions that I have set myself is "develop a stronger focus", this may be a help!

Teresa Ashby said...

Great advice, Julie and well done on getting back in the groove :-)
Hope you are fully recovered soon - those winter bugs really drag you down don't they.

Julie P said...

Thanks, HC

Focus will certainly help as it will encourage us to sit down and write. Best of luck abd let us know how you get on.

Julie P said...

Hi, Teresa

How's little Noah going on? Bless him. You must be over the moon! Yes, I think I'm getting over the worst of it now. I'm still tired and not up to much but I'm getting there! There are some really, really nasty bugs about that do indeed linger on. But I'm more fortunate than some who've come down with them. Just got to stay away from the wretched bugs now so I can concentrate on writing!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Good on you. I've forced myself to do this, put my resolution at the top of my blog and already on track, but it's only day ONE! Hugs..

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole!

You're doing well on day one - that's an excellent start! One day at a time.

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
As per usual, some excellent advice. I can imagine your frustration at having the flu, impact your writing.
I hope you are much better, now.
I was very ill with the flu. However, Penny the Jack Russell, took over my 'writing', when I was poorly:-)
Here's wishing you much fulfilment with your writing endeavours in 2011.
Take good care and happy writing, Gary
x

Suzanne Jones said...

Great post and great advice, Julie.

XX

Alison Runham said...

Yep, I'm with you (and will try to only let myself off when I have to do writing for work. Which is normally far less exciting, although worthwhile).
Happy New Year Julie! :-) Hope the TA course is going well.

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary and thank you.

I am much better now. Just left with a cough and tiredness but I'm getting there. Glad you are feeling better too and that Penny was able to cover for you. Sally's shed covered for me on one occasion for which I am most grateful!

Here's to 2011!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks Suzanne Hope 2011 is a good one.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi Alison,

Yup, got to write more this year. Now the coursework is over for the TA course I can get back to my Journalism course. TA course going well. At the tail end of it now. I have an assessment this am!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi Alison,

Yup, got to write more this year. Now the coursework is over for the TA course I can get back to my Journalism course. TA course going well. At the tail end of it now. I have an assessment this am!

Julie xx

Julie P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nari said...

Great advice, Julie :) I'm certainly with you, as up until now I have had too much time on my hands, which means lots of writing. Now I have a job, an IT course, and a continuing Local Preaching Course, I might find I have a lot less time to write. So I will be making extra special effort.
Glad you're feeling better, and well done on all your progress and your determination. Keep it up :)
Nari X

Julie P said...

Hi, Nari

You certainly sound busy! I seem to be going the other way now: I was very busy with a TA course and volunteering at school but I'll have finished that next week and I've had my hours cut at nursery so I should, in theory, have more writing time. I'm just hoping that I use that time properly!

Good luck and take care

Julie xx