Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 26 January 2011

What helps?

I know that we are all different and that there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to our writing problems, but here are a few tips that I've found helpful when writing articles:

1. Editors are not the enemy: they are the gatekeepers to becoming published.
2. No means no: if an editor declines your work there is nothing to be gained by disputing their decision. They know what works for their publication, so take on board any comments the editor has made and move on. Have another look at your pitch/article, rework it and send it out somewhere else.
3.Keep trying: don't give up at the first rejection. Your article/pitch wasn't right for that particular publication but it might be perfect for somewhere else.
4. Always be on the lookout for fresh angles on well known subjects and new topics to write about. There is article writing fodder everywhere if you keep your eyes and ears open.
5. Keep writing: if you don't sit down and get something down on paper then you won't get published. It sounds obvious, but I'm amazed that on several occasions I have moaned to myself, and to anyone else who will listen, that I haven't written anything, when the reason why is staring me in the face and it's my own stupid fault! -  I haven't had the discipline to sit down and write.
6.Be single minded: forget the housework, or the million and one jobs that you have on your to-do list. Do your writing first and then get on with other things. If you get on with the other things first they can quickly snowball and you'll find other things to do and end up with not a thing written.
7. Have fun: writing's not supposed to be a chore.
8.Keep learning: do a course, read a book on writing, read Writing  Magazine, Writers' Forum or The New Writer and apply what you've learned to your own writing to improve it.
9. Be bold: if you don't ask you don't get, and if you don't try you'll never know if you can get published or not.
10. Be proud: don't hide your writing dreams, make them a reality. It's hard work but remember that you can and will do it!

Next time I'll tell you about what I find useful when writing short stories.

Happy writing!

Julie xx

2 comments:

Diane Perry said...

Brilliant post Julie! That really gave me some umphhh!! I love short and snappy advice like this because it starts to sink in, great advice that I will be following.

Julie P said...

Hi, Di and thanks very much! Glad to have given you some umphhh! I think I gave myself some umphhh too.

Julie xx