Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Decisions, decisions .....

Do you ever have difficulty in deciding things? I'm talking about the decisions writers have to make when they're writing: which character to go with, which plot line, what the character(s)' say and do to carry the story along, how many words the story will be, which bits to cut out when editing, which magazine to send the finished story to. When do you even  know that the story is finished? Questions. Questions. Questions, all the time! What is a writer to do?

Do the decisions you make every day with your writing drive you round the bend or do you find a sense of comfort or joy in being the one who gets to make all the rules and take all the decisions for once? You're the boss. The buck stops with you. Sometimes that can be quite intimidating and, if you're anything like me, you might not think that you are up to the job. But all this dithering and self doubt does nothing to help your story along, does it. At some point you have to bite the bullet and just make the decision to the best of your ability.

What you mustn't do (easier said than done, I know) is let your indecision stop you from writing. If you really can't decide then write your story out using different combinations of characters or with different endings, whatever it is you're undecided about and get on with it! I find that if I can see the possibilities down on paper it makes it a lot easier for me to decide which is the best one.

It's the same with deciding which writing project to do first. I always have several writing projects on the go and I can be a nightmare when I'm trying to decide which one to finish first! Grumpy is not the word. But there is always one project that leaps out at me more so than the others, and I know that if I don't scratch that particular itch first, I won't be able to work on anything else. A little bit of what you fancy and all that. You have to get it out of your system before you can move on to something else.

Happy decision making -  there's always a blind fold and a pin if all else fails!

Julie xx

6 comments:

Simon Whaley said...

Deadlines are good at helping you to determine your priorities too!

Jarmara Falconer said...

I know just what you mean... I try to stay focused on one thing at a time. At the moment I'm torn between getting my novel finished (I'm polishing it at the moment) and writing a few short stories to have them out in the big wide world while I finish my novel.

I keep a little sign beside my computer 'Stay Focus'

Julie P said...

Absolutely, Simon! Whether they are your own or imposed by an editor - they keep you on track, eh?!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I think I need a sign like yours, Jarmara! At the moment my spare room looks like a bombs hit it as we are having a clear out ready to swap my daughter's bedroom around so I can have the box room for my writing room - my thirty-tenth birthday present. So theres not much writing going on at the moment - it will be worth it in the end. I hope!

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Never, never again! shall I try to write two books at once! Arghhh...

Julie P said...

Hee hee, Carole! At least you know that now! I don't know how you managed it - it's a fantastic achievement.

Julie xx