Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 24 February 2011

Feeling Rejected?

No-one ever said that the road to publication was easy. And although I've had a fair bit of success on the article and,  more recently, the short story front the rejections still come and that initial sting never gets any better! I've had four of my rejected stories returned to me over the past two weeks. I think I'm going for a world record on the number of rejections a writer can get from one magazine!

On the plus point I had one of my articles about archery published in This England and a cheque arrived too  -  bonus. This helped soften the blow as the next envelope contained the fourth short story rejection. I'm determined to carry on writing short stories and sending them out. I'm also trying to read as many short stories as I can lay my hands on in the hope I can hone the style of the story better to the requirements of the magazine. I'm also working my way through a huge pile of rejected short stories that I sent out in 2009/10 to see if I can improve them and submit them to other magazines. It's a good job I'm of a strong constitution! But I know I can do it as I've done it before and got three short stories published. I am so going to keep trying again and again (sorry editors!)

It's so encouraging to see short stories in the magazines by several of my fellow bloggers  - well done! And I hope those of you who are still trying to get published will read as many short stories as you can and listen to the excellent advice out there on short story writing. There can be no substitute for writing as many stories as you can to improve your skills and chances of publication. So keep going!

Happy writing

Julie xx

16 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Like me, you are getting there, a step at a time, just keeping taking those steps. Hugs... xx

JustSome... said...

I'm aspiring to be a great writer,any advice?Thank you.

Diane Perry said...

Sorry to hear that Julie but as you say it's not easy and so even when you get a little success it's amazing and remember you have been successful before and will be again! Hope you are enjoying your new writing room! Di xx

Kath said...

I'm going through something similar at the moment, Julie. One thought that occurred to me this week was that I write stories primarily for myself so it's a bonus if they get published. It would be awful to have to write solely with a view to selling because then it would become a chore. On the other hand, trying to target particular mags can be fun and good practice.

Happy birthday for tomorrow by the way. I remembered because it's mine too (remembered correctly, I hope!)
xxx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole.

Thanks for the birthday card - very entertaining, especially the violin playing bear's face! Slowly but surely seems to be the order of the writing speed - but that's okay with me!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Just some,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm not sure about what you need to do to become a great writer as I'm happy to be a writer - great or not. A 'great' writer means different things to different people depending on what you read and write and who your favourite authors are, who you admire and why.

But what I will say, and this has certainly helped me with my writing, is that you need to keep writing, every day if you can. Keep the momentum and motivation going and keep sending your work out there. It's the only way I know of improving my work and getting published. You can't get the work you don't finish or don't send out published.

Any one else got any tips on what you need to do to?

I wish you all the best of luck with your writing.

Julie

Julie P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie P said...

Hi, Di

We are both used to the rejections and we don't let it stop us (we are either both completely mad or completely dedicated to the cause - a bit of both perhaps!)

The room will be completely empty later today when Dave moves our daughter's bed out. Then the painting can begin! It should be completed by next weekend and I can get writing in there. My family may never see me again!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Kath,

Happy birthday to yoooooou! Well remembered too.

I sometimes feel as if I'm just writing for the sake of being published and that pressure really stifles the creativity. So it's good to take a step back and work on something else that I know is just for fun and not destined for an editor's desk.

Happy writing!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

Remember this: Rejections make the acceptances taste that little bit more sweeter :-)

Julie P said...

They certainly do, Simon!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Well done Julie for being so constant in your determined and positive attitude. I really admire the way you pick yourself up and try again. It's what we all have to do, and it never gets easier! Good luck with the re-writes of those rejected stories - it quite often works.
x

suzy doodling said...

Hi Julie,
Glad to hear that you keep on submitting. Only by submitting can we get better and hopefully have some acceptances. Love your blog. I'd like to add you to my list for stylish blogger award. I had mine from Teresa Ashby. No obligations. xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Olivia!

Too true. I don't think I could ever willinging give up trying. I just love to write so much and half of the pleasure in writing is the actual writing process, so any publications are a bonus really.

Well done on your recent successes too - brilliant!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi Suzi doodling!

Thank you for the award too - most appreciated. We have to learn by writing more, I think. Only that and reading widely will help us become better writers - so onwards we go!

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Huge hugs for the nasty Rs. But a big yay for that sale. You're doing so well.

XX