Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 7 February 2011

Posteria On Seat

Well my posteria has firmly been on my seat more frequently recently than since before Christmas and I'm pleased to report that since January 1st I've subbed ten short stories shared between Take A Break, The Weekly News, That's Life (Australia), and Woman's Weekly. I'm pleased with my short story writing and output so far this year but I am in no way becoming complacent. Neither am I under any illusion that all of them will get published.

Having subbed 40 short stories in 2009 and having had only one of those published, showed me a valuable lesson: that's it's not easy to get published but if you persevere and keep on reading and learning and practising your writing, you have a better chance of being published. Believe me there were (still are if I'm honest) times when I did think of giving up, but I'm so glad I didn't.

Other news is that for my upcoming thirty tenth birthday this month (I refuse to use the 'F' word,) my family have agreed that I can have my daughter's current bedroom as my very own 'office/writing room' and my daughter can go in the big spare bedroom. I'm really excited about that! It means I can clear the corner of our living room of all my writing tat and retire to my writing room when the urge takes me!

Now back to my short stories ...................

Happy writing!

Julie xx

18 comments:

Adam said...

Hi Julie, congratulations on writing so many short stories in such a short time, I would be pleased to just finish one.

I love the term 30 ten, I'm going to use that myself from now on because I also turn 30 ten soon, in fact very soon (this Friday)!

Happy writing,

Adam

penandpaints said...

You're so right, Julie. The number of times I have thought 'this is never going to happen' When I finally had an acceptance I was so so happy, I will remeber that wondeful acceptence letter forever! It was after many, many rejections.
Your own writing room! Sounds lovely, just a laptop on the sofa for me hehe.
Best wishes for your upcoming thirty tenth!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Wonderful news indeed, Julie. Enjoy your writing space and don't worry about that word. You have so much life in front of you to enjoy. xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Adam

Most of the ten stories I subbed recently are ones that I wrote in Oct/Nov/Dec last year and have only just got round to editing them. I currently average about one or two new stories a week to keep my stock up, but a lot of the time I'm editing ones I write a while ago ready to sub.

Sometimes I revamp stories that have been rejected - I've done that with two of the ten stories subbed so far this year.

Yes, thirty ten sounds so much better than f***y don't you think?
Happy thirty tenth to you too!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Penandpaints,

You never forget your first acceptance do you!

I wonder if I'll actually use the writing room or slowly migrate downstairs again?!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi Carole Anne!

It's only a word, I know, but I still like thirty ten! It's going to take a while to get my writing room sorted as the spare room my daughter's moving in to is full of junk so we'll have to clear that out first - but I think it will be worth it.

Julie xx

Teresa Ashby said...

Good for you Julie - that's the way to do it :-)
Happy thirty-tenth. I love it!

Julie P said...

Hi, Teresa

I thought I'd make a bigger effort this year to get more short stories out! Just hope I can keep the momentum going.

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Fantastic news about your new writing room Julie. I love my little attic and have done so much since having a special room dedicated to writing. As for being 30 ten, go for it! Celebrate the fact. I found it the most wonderful time of my life and never look back!
Di xx

Julie P said...

I can't wait for my writing room to materialise - it's the clearing out and tidying up I'm not looking forward to! But it will be worth it.

I'm entering a new decade of my life soon - I think it's the thought that I'm on the cusp of turning f***y that's niggling me! Though it could be a new start!

On my husband's f******h I took him on a hot air balloon ride and it was fantastic! But all I want for mine is a writing room!

Julie xx

Alison Runham said...

Wow, Julie, you have been busy! WELL DONE! A lot of my 'writing fuel' is burnt on the ritual fire of the Diploma at the moment, but hopefully some of that material will end up in stories or - gasp - novels! ;-)
Got a story in 100 for Queensland tho',so yay!
So that's another spooky similarity we share - the thirty-ten thing. I like that! I'll be ...thirty-ten... in May.

Julie P said...

Well done to you too, Alison, for getting a story in 100 stories for Queensland. I can't wait to buy a copy and read them all! Good luck with your Diploma.

Hope your thirty tenth will go well too!

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Very impressive total, Julie. Sending positive vibes after all your subs.

XX

Jane said...

Hi Julie

I've just stumbled on your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed skimming through it.

I laughed out loud when I read about your 'thirty tenth' - you've inspired me to celebrate my thirty sixteenth this year!

I'm new to the world of blogging and one of the things I'm enjoying most is searching out and enjoying new blogs to read - especially when they're as interesting as yours.

Well done on your writing success too. I like to think that, some time in the future, I could take my writing more seriously and the discipline of writing a blog is just the first baby step towards that (I hope!).

Happy thirty tenth!

Julie P said...

Hi, Suzanne, your positive vibes are most welcome. I hope your subs do well too.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Jane, and welcome!

I'm quite looking forward to my thirty-tenth now - it sounds much better than f***y to me!

Go for it, Jane, you have nothing to lose. I've thoroughly enjoyed my writing journey and still am. Even with the rejections, it's worth it.

Good luck

Julie xx

D.M. SOLIS said...

I'm glad not writing is not an option. That would be such a shame...and such a great loss. As writers, artists, "Creatives," we live in part through our art. Not writing is a kind of half-life. Peace and all good,

Diane

Julie P said...

Hi, Diane

I totally agree! I don't think I don't think I could ever stop writing if I have a choice about it.

Julie xx