Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 12 March 2011

Keep 'em peeled

We writers are nosy so and sos aren't we. Well I am  -  it's a gift! Today I've been here there and everywhere and here are a few things I've noticed:

* An elderly woman with the most beautiful grey/white hair I've ever seen tending the grave next to the one I was visiting.

* Bumping into another relative of mine who was also putting flowers on our relative's grave. I hadn't seen him since he was a toddler.

* I find graveyards fascinating and peaceful and I like to wander through the headstones reading the names of those buried there. I try to imagine the type of person they were and what they did in life, who they loved, where they lived, what they thought.

* How people seem to mill around as if in a trance when they are shopping.

* Listening to the waiter at a cafe I went to talking to another customer. A pink Limo drew up at the traffic lights outside and the customer said that her female friend was in there as it was her wedding day. She then added that her friend had married a girl, which the waiter repeated as if he didn't believe her. What a lovely way to travel to your wedding is what I thought.

* How much the town I was visiting has changed within a year or so since I last visited it.

* How completely unaware some people seem to be of what is going on around them.

* How some teenagers can be completely loutish, loud and silly, whilst others so dignified and older than their years.

* How many beautiful flowers there are this time of year.

* Discovering how much joy there is to be had from choosing summer bulbs and vegetable/flower seeds to grow.

* That those automated loos that look like alien space craft are not nearly as frightening as I thought they were. They are, in fact, quite amusing. It takes some getting used to having some strange automated woman giving you instructions while you're on the loo. I've always been terrified of going in them until today when it was unavoidable!

* It's amazing how time seems to fly when you're browsing the shelves of a book shop.

It's important that as writers we open our eyes to what's going on around us: a snippet of conversation, a woman's face, a new experience, everything we observe and experience can provide us with a seed of inspiration for our writing. So keep 'em peeled and you might have your next story.

I know I said I was going to put photos of my new writing room on here but I've hit a slight technical hitch in that I have the photos on my camera but, due to camera battery problems I haven't managed to upload them yet. Watch this space!

Happy observing and writing!

Julie xx

6 comments:

suzy doodling said...

Hi Julie,
I love wandering around graveyards as well, when visiting. I like to read the names, and same as you, wonder what they were like in life. Sounds like you got some ideas for your stories.

Mike said...

That's the way. I'm plotting more portrait photography, so have been staring at folk; I mean observing their appearance & mannerisms more closely. Everyone has a kind of beauty.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Lots of material there for many many short stories. xx

Julie P said...

There's just something about graveyards isn't there, Suzy. It was most interesting to bump into one of my relatives there too - what a co-incidence.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I find other people fascinating too, Mike. I haven't got the nerve to photograph complete strangers like you, though! I don't think I'd have the confidence to ask them.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole,

I had a very interesting but relaxing day yesterday and, as you say, it was full of inspiration for stories.

Julie xx