Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 5 March 2011

Looking for inspiration?

I've discovered an interesting but effective method of finding inspiration for short stories. As I read a lot (I'm too embarrassed to say just how much) of magazines and newspapers, I find I gain a lot of ideas for stories from the news items and features in what I read.  To make it really interesting I've started to close my eyes and randomly circle certain words or phrases within the magazines and newspapers that I can use as a springboard to developing them into a short story. The problem pages are particularly useful here: plenty of conflict that needs resolving. Give it a go and see how you get on; it can lead to all sorts of  original, strange and unusual combinations and ideas. It works just as well if you apply it to writing articles, novels, poems, plays, etc.

I've moved into my writing room now (photos will be posted just as soon as my camera batteries charge up) and it's the best thing I could have done. All my writing paraphernalia is in one place, neat and tidy, so I no longer waste precious writing time searching for stuff and neither do I become distracted by trivial concern like the TV! I'm making an exception with the TV tonight, though, as it's the wonderful World Book Day evening on BBC2, starting at 19:30 I believe  -  heaven!

Happy World Book Day celebrations  -  not that any of us need an excuse to read a book!

Julie xx

10 comments:

Reb Alexander said...

This is such a good idea. Otherwise magazines and newspapers are like the internet, they suck you in and you end up writing less. Also, whole stories kind of bias you in the direction of the story, whereas a starting point has no fixed conclusion. It might get me started on something unusual for poetry, and there I need some inspiration!

Diane Perry said...

Hi Julie, yes I am going to be glued to the tv this evening too. It's inspiring watching programmes like that I can't wait. I had a really good catch up yesterday with all my writing mags, I had a back log as time did not allow me to read cover to cover, but yesterday while waiting for the poor hubbie in hospital I got through 3 issues!
Enjoy tonight! xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Reb and thank you.

It's so easy to get lost and absorbed into the Internet isn't it?It can waste so much time too. But having a few mags or newspapers to look through you can skim through and pick out bits that grab your attention and may lead on to inspire you to write something.

Good luck with it!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di

I know! I can't wait either. I have some mulled wine coming that my husband's bringing home after work this evening. I've done all my housework in preparation too. So I can sit down, relax and enjoy a great evening's entertainment!
I shall think of you and raise my glass to you whilst I'm watching it.

I hope hubby is okay.

Julie xx

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Looking forward to those photographs.. hugs..xx

penandpaints said...

That's a good idea. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, sounds lovely!

Bethany Mason said...

I love your idea of circling words and phrases - will definitely be giving that a go at some point.

Julie P said...

Still haven't managed to upload the flippin' photos of my writing room, LOL!I promise to get them on here next post, Carole,

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Pen and Paints. I'll put the photos up next time! Let me know how you get on with the newspapers and mags.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Bethany

Yes, give it a go and see how you get on with it. Do let us know how you get on.

Julie xx