Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 21 March 2011

Play time!

On Saturday it was my turn to run the workshop at my local Wrekin Writers' meeting. Now, bearing in mind I've been a member for a couple of years, I know what makes them tick and what kind of people they are. So you can imagine the response my 'Writing Is Child's Play' workshop got!  Not that I'm saying they are all big babies of course, but I decided that as writers we often become stuck in a rut and don't get time to play and enjoy ourselves in non-writing related activities. Well on Saturday I made sure that we did just that.

We had play doh, Twister, Lego, touchy feely boxes where they had to guess what was in the boxes (jelly, tinned spaghetti, apple, tomato, potato, coins etc.) It was messy but very enjoyable. I also set out some writing related activities like choosing three words cut out from a magazine and making up a story inspired by those words. There was a story board collage activity where they chose three random pictures, again cut out of magazines and they had to make up a story using their chosen picture. I also had 'Who Am I?' where participants had a famous author's name taped to their back and they could ask other participants five questions to find out who they were - the other people could only answer yes or no. Then there was the role play game where I'd typed out several different characters of which they had to choose one and only talk and behave in the way that character would. The grandmother who could only talk in a rap style was popular!

The funny thing was, though, I normally don't like standing up in front of groups of people and talking, but this time I didn't mind - I actually enjoyed it. A lot of that was down to preparation, I think. That and the fact I was amongst fellow minded (silly!) people who like to laugh at themselves and everyone else!

The workshop was, as well as being a lot of fun, designed to give writers alternnative tools for their writing and help them see their writing in a different way: dialogue, description, using all the senses instead of just sight etc  -  it was all there cunningly disguised as play!

So, it went well and I was really pleased that I'd done it and everyone seemed to have enjoyed it. And my daughter made good use of the play doh afterwards - nothing was wasted!

Don't forget to get away from your computer and have a play once in a while - it will do you and your writing the power of good!

Happy playing - I mean writing!

Julie xx

12 comments:

suzy doodling said...

Hi Julie,
Sounds like you had a good old playtime. I love rummaging around in the woodlands and finding unusual things. Good advice about work, rest and play. (I'm sure a mars bar is in there somewhere)

Michal H said...

That's amazing! I would've loved to be in this workshop--great material and writing practice. Maybe I'll try some of this on my own. Thank you!

gaelikaa said...

What fun! I've just read Simon Whaley's post on this! Thanks to both of you for sharing this with those of us unable to join in.

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Julie the workshop was brilliant, not only did you give us all a good laugh but plenty of food for thought. Thank you.

xx

Julie P said...

Always got to have chocolate involved there somewhere, Suzy!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I have to say, you did really well! You didn't send anyone to sit on the naughty step, did you? :-)

Mike said...

Thank you for a lovely workshop, we all had a lot of fun. For some of us the inner child is nearer the surface, but I think you reached them all.
Mike xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Michael.

I can reccommend making your own playdough!

Have fun playing

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Gaelikaa

Simon's just a big kid really! As we discovered on Saturday. It was great fun.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue!

It was funny wasn't it!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I was tempted to though, Simon!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Mike.
I enjoyed doing it. There's an inner child in all of us and I'm glad most revealled theres on Saturday!

Julie xx