Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 17 April 2011

Am I Bothered?

Post man can't deliver magazines with your short stories in if you don't write and sub them.
Remember why you started writing in the first place.
Onwards and upwards!
Can't be bothered attitude will get you nowhere.
Reality check - stop dreaming/washing up/ cleaning the oven and get on with writing.
Any writing is better than no writing.
Sitting down and writing is the only way to get it done.
Talk the talk, but you have to walk the walk too.
In a nut shell - the less you write, the less likely you'll be published.
No writing = no publishing contract.
All published writers know one thing  -  don't give up.
There are no such words as I can't.
I'll do it tomorrow when you have time today to write is not an option - get it down on paper now.
On no condition let rejection stop you. Get back on that horse.
Never let do of your writing dream.

I am declaring week beginning the 18th April No Procrastination Week. Let's see what happens when we make our writing the priority it should be!

Julie xx

12 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

I'll join you in that, Julie, I've been avoiding the beginning of my sequel Kendra for far too long! Keep at it girl! xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Julie, do pop over to my blog and claim your award, and don't bother about doing the rules if you'd rather not, very time consuming.

Suzanne Jones said...

Arriving a day late (that's not a good start) - but yes, I'll join in, too.

XX

Nari said...

You are so right in all the things you've said here. Thanks for this, Julie :) Your blog so often makes me smile. I reckon I'll join you in no procastination, though even worse than Suzanne, I'm 2 days late...
Nari X

Julie P said...

Go for it, Carole! Mind you, I have to confess that I am sort of procrastinating now ;0) I've just edited one short story and I'm about to edit another, though, so I think I have a valid excuse. And anyway, this is networking really!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oooh, Carole,
I have an award do I? Will pop over in a mo!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hl, Suzanne!
Better late than never, chuck. That's the thing with procrastination - as long as you can nip it in the bud and not let it linger, you'l be okay.

Welcome aboard the good ol' ship Kick Procrastination's Butt!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

No matter, Nari - you're here and that's all that matters! Welcome shipmate!

Julie xx

HelenMHunt said...

Good luck with your goals. Sometimes it's worth getting your head down and just going for it.

Bluestocking Mum said...

I'm putting off quite a few things lately so I had to smile at this post.

And als smiling at Nari's post as I'm a few days late posting.
Procrastination is a habit and something that is new to me. I never used to do it!

The interesting thing is it's not procrastination that has kept me from posting a tardy comment on your blog. It's the 'other stuff;' the other pressures - health, time, busy lives, other commitment etc.

The wonderful thing about blogging is that followers understand as we're all in the same boat.
xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Helen

Yes, I think you do just have to get on with it sometimes, whether you feel like it or not. I think if you have the time then you should do the writing before something else crops up and you get distracted by that.

But it also does us equally good to take a complete break from writing too. It's finding that balance.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Yes, Blue Stocking Mum, you're quite right about life getting in the way of writing. We all have other stuff that crops up and stops us from writing. There's not a lot you can do about it sometimes. I think you just have to go with it and get down to your writing when you can.

It would be a shame if we didn't get back into it, though it can be hard to find your writing rhythm again after a prolonged absence from it.

I sometimes don't know what I'd do without my writing! Or my fellow bloggers - they're a wonderful support.

Julie xx