Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Coming to an End......

Well, as we come to the end of No Procrastination week, I'm pleased to say that it worked for me! I'm currently on 5,220 words of one writing project and have probably written a couple of more thousand words on articles and through editing short stories - it's amazing what you can do when you kick that pesky procrastination devil up its backside! And that's with hospital appointments, having my daughter home with me during the Easter holidays, having to go up every week day to check on the school allotments, having to check on and do stuff for my elderly father, house work and the many other distractions life throws at us.

What I've had reiterated to me through my experiences this week, is that you can write loads when you put your mind to it and make time for it. I've had to cut back on the amount of television I usually watch, which is no bad thing really, (I draw the line at Dr Who, Lewis and Midsomer Murders, though!) and I've had to be really strict with myself (and others) by writing when it's my designated writing time and not being coerced into doing something else.

Your writing is important and, if you want to be published, you have to be prepared to make sacrifices and get down to the act of writing. I don't know if what I've written over this week will be good enough to ever see the light of day, but I do know it's taking me closer to my goal. If I hadn't written it I would have nothing to edit and try and improve.

It's a project I've had milling around in my head and then in note form for a while, but I always made excuse after excuse for not starting it. And here we are, a week later, after months of 'I'll do it tomorrow,' tomorrow has come and I've almost completed the first draft.  It's a wonderful feeling and I'm all fired up to getting on and finishing the first draft tomorrow.

Don't put your writing projects off any longer - no more excuses  - get it down on paper. You don't know what's around the corner in life so stop procrastinating and remember, you're worth it!

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Jarmara Falconer said...

Thank you for the kick up me bum. I shall get down to some serious writing tomorrow.

Good luck with your writing, my dear friend

Julie P said...

Hi, Jarmara and thank you!

I'm having a day off today as I have family visiting but will be editing this evening.

Go for it Jarmara! Fingers crossed for you.

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

That's a terrific word count for a week, Julie. Well done.
XX

Simon Whaley said...

Well done Julie. A great effort, especially during a difficult week!

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne. I'm pooped now, though! I'm still managing to keep my word count up but I just hope I can edit what I've written into something publishable! I'm having a rest tonight.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Simon

Thank you! I think sometimes, even when you're pushed for time and the weeks not going as well as we'd like. you just have to get down to your writing. If you wait for a 'perfect' writing time, you'll be waiting for a long time!

Julie xx