Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 22 May 2011

So What Are You Going To Do?

Since embarking on this writing journey with you I've learned a great deal and I hope you have too. It hasn't been easy but one of the things that has kept me going is the thrill that writing gives me. I think that you have to enjoy the process of writing because if you don't it is quite likely that it will show through in your writing.

I know that most people would have given up long before now, but I haven't and won't. It took me a lot of writing and two years to get my first short story published. I thought about giving up, many times. But I didn't. I'm not sure I understand completely why I didn't. But when I'm writing, when I'm even thinking about writing, I get this feeling. It's like a prickle of electricity running through me and it makes me smile. I have all these characters and plots running through my head. I have characters talking to me and each other. Everyday when I wake up I have the opportunity to make new worlds and explore people's relationships and motives. I can help them to resolve conflicts and to move forward in their lives. I do this all from my own home.

I can visit new places, live other people's lives for the few hours it takes me to write my story all without leaving my living room. And if I need motivation, inspiration or company I have all my fellow blogger friends, my writing group and writing friends. I can even go and sit in a cafe and people watch while I'm writing. I can read magazines in the name of research. It's a fantastic job! Of course I want to carry on doing it, despite the rejections. I intend to carry on doing what I love - writing short stories.

So what are you going to do then? We are almost half way through the year and even though I still have far more short stories rejected than accepted I still love writing and reading. Do you? What are you going to do for the rest of the year to take your writing to the next level?

Just something to think about while you're writing.

Happy thinking and writing

Julie xx

12 comments:

HelenMHunt said...

Well done on your latest sale. The challenge I've set myself is to run some workshops on womag writing later this year, so that should keep me busy and motivated!

Jarmara Falconer said...

I can't give up now. I took redundantcy from work hope that having more freetime would help me get my book written and published quicker.
I do find it hard not to feel I have taken on too much, that I am in fact pushing myself to hard. I want to enjoy writing and not turn it into a job and worry about money.

Seeing a light at the end of a long tunnel is motivation enough for me. I just hope I will see a sign that reads 'Meet the Next Bestselling Author Here' when I get to there.

Julie P said...

That's great, Helen.

I think we all have to stretch ourselves don't we.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

That's the trouble with writing isn't it, Jarmara? We never really switch off from it do we?

But I have to say that you should treat writing as a job if you want to be published. It's a profession and one that demands the same level of discipline and dedication as any other career would.

But you don't have to take the joy out of writing by seeing it as a job - I think I've been lucky in that writing is my main job so I have to make it work. The only way I can do that is by treating it as I did in all my other jobs.

Good luck with your book - I can see that sign for you already!

Julie xx

Frances Garrood said...

I think we writers lead double lives; the one in our heads, and the one that we actually live. Publication or not, it's not negotiable. We can't help it (this is something non-writers don't/cannot understand).

And what am I doing...waiting to hear about the fate of my latest novel, that's what. And I'm not enjoying it (waiting's a less acceptable part of the writer's life; second only to rejection!).

Julie P said...

The waiting part is not good is it, Frances!

Good luck with your book - I hope you hear soon

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I think we keep doing it because you never know what news the postman will bring each day. There's always a chance!

Diane Fordham said...

I enjoyed your post and will be following your blog. I too will always write - no matter what! Lately I've been reading a lot about the dwindling short story market but I'm going to use this as a challenge to be in that 'elite' group that does get published, while I live in hope that the markets pick up and new ones get introduced. I have to write - it is what makes me happy! :-)

Julie P said...

Too right, Simon! We like to watch the postman struggling along the road under the weight of all the rejections!!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi Diane,

It's a shame the markets are dwindling but we have to keep trying. Other people manage to get their stories in the mags regularly so that means we can too! It's only through sheer determination and hard work - market research/analysis, honing their writing skills - that they get published so we should follow that work ethic I think.

Happy writing

Julie xx

Karen said...

I don't think I could stop if I wanted to now - I don't feel right if I don't write something every day!

I suppose the only way we're guaranteed to fail, is if we stop trying :o)

Julie P said...

Hi, Karen,

Too right! If you don't write you don't get published, so we'd better carry on writing!

Julie xx