Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 7 May 2011

Waiting.......

Don't you find, as writers, that we spend an awful lot of our time just waiting? We wait for copies of magazines/books to come out so that we can devour them and glean the information they contain. We wait for inspiration. We wait while our brains kick into gear and the first sentence flows out. We wait for a reply from editors to our e-mail enquiries or pitches. We wait for rejections or acceptances to come thudding through our letter boxes. We wait while our broadband Internet connection and/or computers decide to go on strike. We wait for everything!

While we wait, though, it's important to get some perspective and not dwell on our failures of the past. We should, I feel, be looking forward with our writing. Of course we do learn from the past and this helps us to move on with our writing. And, unfortunately, writing is one big waiting game. I know I wish that editor's cogs would move faster, but they don't and we have to accept that.

Writing gives us time to think. It allows us to take a step back and review what we have done and to think about where we are going next with our writing. Every rejection we receive allows us to see where we have gone wrong and we can grow from that. Waiting also lets us work on new ideas ready to send out when we have had the verdicts on our work already out there. No matter how frustrating it may be, or how impatient we are, getting worked up about the length of time we have to wait isn't going to help.

So while you're waiting for that yes or no, take time out to reflect on your past successes and achievements and use them to carry you forward. Learn from your rejections and then move on.It might do you the world of good to take time out from your writing completely and then go back to it with fresh eyes and a more positive attitude. Being positive is half the battle.

Only one short story rejected this week but one article accepted for the local paper - I can live with that!

My writing aims for this week are to get some short stories edited and sent out. I was delighted to discover that I have 11 short stories at either first or second draft status! They will keep me busy for quite some time, I think. I'm still planning to work on my novels. The new project I finished the first draft of (children's book) still needs time to ferment. But my summer holiday project will be editing one of my NaNo novels. I'm excited but daunted about this mammoth task, but I've been sitting on my NaNo novels for too long now and as well as being a bit squashed ;0) it really is about time I got on with them.

I'm now waiting for my husband and daughter to get washed and dressed so we can go shopping!

Happy waiting!

Julie xx

7 comments:

Simon Whaley said...

I find waiting for agents to get back to me the most infuriating! And waiting for editors to respond to pitches is a bit of a nightmare too. (Although I did get two commissions this week, so the wait was worth it in the end!)

And of course, whilst you're waiting for hubby and daughter to get ready, there's less time for you to spend money at the shops and more time for your to write things like this blog! So, waiting has its benefits!

Julie P said...

Very, true, Simon! If only I had the money to spend at the shops!But then again if I had the money and spent all my time spending it down the shops I wouldn't get any writing done. So while I'm waiting for that lottery win .......

Julie xx

suzy doodling said...

Hi Julie,
We're supposed to write more while we're waiting the experts say. I sometimes want to know the outcome of an article or story before I spend more money on stamps and envelopes.

Suzanne Jones said...

I hate waiting for anything :0(

Hugs for the R, Julie. But a big YAY for the article sale.

XX

Julie P said...

Hi, Suzanne,
I think it's the not knowing that drives me crazy - especially when you het no answer, ever! That's just the pits!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Suzy

I think it's wise to have other work ready to send out when the rejected work sent out. That way you'll always have something out there while you're waiting for work to come back. I think it also helps to take your mind off waiting!

Julie xx

Julie P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.