Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 3 June 2011

Courage and a 'can-do' attitude

I don't want to hear any excuses as to why you aren't writing, why you're not sending your work out, why you're not trying new markets. I have enough excuses of my own. What I do want to see is you grasping the nettle, as it were, and pushing you and your writing forward, expanding your boundaries, dare to be different and give it a go.

There should be no such words as 'can't do' in a writer's vocabulary but one word you do need is courage. You need the courage of your convictions and sit down and write. Don't let that weedy little voiced creature that looks and acts like Kreatcher or Dobby the house elf, or Smeegal, (otherwise known as the Writer's Wraith or The Inner Editor that lurks deep inside your writer's brain put you off. It's no use wailing that you don't know how to do this or do that - you don't know how to submit short stories or how to present them, how to write them, who to send them to  -  LEARN! And then put what you've learned into practise. I've been writing for three years now and I'm learning all the time. I don't always hit the mark. In fact it's more miss than hit if I'm honest, but my success rate is going up.

Have courage and never say can't do.

Julie xx

No comments: