Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 4 June 2011

D is for determination and daring

One thing that has got me through the dark days of rejection is determination. When I first started writing, when I hadn't been published and all I was getting was rejection after rejection, it was so hard to keep going. But keep going I did. Why? Why would any sane person keep sending out their short stories, unsolicited, when they keep coming back rejected? I kept going because I had no other way of knowing whether my short stories were publishable or not. The proof was in the eating of the proverbial pudding. Once you've been published, you know you can do as the evidence your story and name) is right there in front of you in a magazine. But when you haven't been published, you've no reason to believe you really can do it! That's hard to swallow.

Rejection is hard, but I think giving up is harder as you'll never know what you might have achieved if you hadn't have kept going. What makes rejection difficult is a lot of the time you don't know why your stories were rejected, or how close to the mark you were. Editors don't have time to tell you. So it is a lot like taking pot shots in the dark, sometimes. You can read the magazines, study the submission guidelines, write what you think is a cracking story that fits the magazine's remit only to have the story returned to you a few months later. It's tough, but that's the way it is. Determination is part of the key to your success as a writer.

Daring. Humph. You have to have the bare faced cheek, the audacity to think that you can write and write well too. You have to dare to try something new, dare to keep going despite the knock-backs, dare to write outside of your box and your comfort zone. And then you have to have the damnation to send your work to editors  (gasps - pass the smelling salts!) But it's worth it in the end (honest.)

Be determined. Go on - I dare you!

Julie xx

2 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

A very upbeat post! Great! xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole! Got to be positive.
Julie xx