Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

G is for ...... Get On With it and Get Over It

One of the most annoying comments that anyone can make to a writer is that they could write a book if only they had the time, or if only they could think of something to write about. Well it's all well and good thinking that you can write a book, but it's no use to anyone unless you actually sit down and get on with it. The only difference between a failed writer, a wannabe writer and a writer that becomes published is that the published writer got on with it where the other two didn't. Something to think about ;0)

Today I received two short story rejections in one e-mail. So how do I feel about that? Did I wail and gnash my teeth and vow never to write again? No I did not. My first thought was who can I send them to next and what was it about them that missed the mark of this particular market? How can I improve my chances next time? I wasn't too worried as I know I have around 20 other stories still out there waiting for a yay or nay. The rejections don't tend to bother you as much when you have other stories circulating as you know one of these might hit the mark. But if you have no more work out there a rejection can grate.

So get on with it and send your stuff out there and then get over the rejections and get on with it some more!

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

And there are those people who say they've been told by theri friends that "they should write about their experiences". Groan. Those experiences are invariably dull, whereas the people I've met who've lead really interesting lives never seem to give a thought to writing about them!

Getting on with it. Yes...that's what I'm not doing now...

Simon Whaley said...

Yep me too. A short story rejection received today, has been reworked for a new market and has just been submitted. It's the only way to do it!

Derek said...

Good for you, Julie! It's only over when we decide to stop writing.

Julie P said...

Hi, Frances.

I always find other people's lives fascinating so writing about other people's experiences is great for me.

That's the ticket - get on with it!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

In out, in out, shake it all about, eh, Simon! It's always worth reworking stories that have been rejected and sending thenm out again to different markets - well you were the one who told me that and it's worked - just doing what I'm told!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi Derek - too true. It ain't over til the lady of a bigger than average size sings!

Julie xx