Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 8 June 2011

H is for Have a Think About it.

Writers are a lucky bunch. I think this because at some point in their working day they have to sit and think. This may involve sitting in their office, staring at the wall or the view from their window. It may mean them getting out into the fresh air, sitting half way up a mountain, thinking. Or they may be at a family gathering or work meeting and suddenly go off on one into their own little literary imaginative world and think. What other job would it be acceptable for  you to just sit and think and make things up? Well, yes politicians maybe ;0) but we'll disregard them.

Thinking is essential to the writing process. It allows us to conjure up ideas and catch them before they float out of minds and are forever lost into the ether. Thinking helps our creative brain to stew the ideas around. Given time, a problem with a chapter of your novel, or a character who refuses to come to life on the page will be sorted if left to the inner workings of your brain.

So stop and think every once in a while and see your literary problems disappear.

Happy writing!

Julie xx

2 comments:

Jarmara Falconer said...

Hi Julie every time I stop and think I find myself staring at my neighbour's skip. Take a look at my blog to see what I'm talking about.
Thank you for sharing a great posting ;-)

Julie P said...

Thanks, Jarmara!

I'll have a look. Am intrigued now!

Julie xx