Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

It's not what you know......

Writing, it is said, is a solitary activity. Writers spend hours cooped up in their writing spaces, hunched over their computers, diligently typing away at their latest Work In Process. It's no wonder we are all more than a little eccentric! But hiding ourselves away in our turrets, although great for our word count, isn't brilliant for our social lives (or waistlines.)

It's important that writers get out and about  - and not only for the sake of their sanity and double chin. A fellow writer, friend and Wrekin Writer (who doesn't have a double chin, I hasten to add) mentioned recently that he'd gone down to see an author who was doing a talk/book signing at his local bookshop. He ended up going for lunch and having a good old chin-wag with this author! What an excellent networking opportunity.

And that's what it's all about. You can know a lot about writing, have considerable talent in that area but if you don't get out and about and tell people about your writing or meet with fellow writers who may have contacts in the publishing world, then your work might never get the advertising it needs. It may sound two faced to seek out the company of other writers just to get to their contact! But that's not what networking is about. It's about getting your name and work known - of course it is  - but it's also about nurturing friendships that will last you through the ups and downs of the publishing process. And those friendships are priceless, and are not found easily, so hold on to them when you've found them.

So get yourself out there and networking to your heart's content. You never know where it might lead!

Julie xx

6 comments:

Jarmara Falconer said...

I'm off to my writing group tomorrow, but today I need to get my head down and write... Great posting

Julie P said...

Hi, Jarmara

I hope you have a great time at your writing group - am very jealous. I've got a month to wait until my group meets again!

Happy writing

Julie xx

HelenMHunt said...

Totally agree. The article I'm writing for WF at the moment is based on something an author said to me over coffee!

Martin H. said...

Persistence is the key, Julie. Before I was offered a regular column, many moons ago, I bombarded the editor with scores of articles. He eventually invited me for lunch, and offered me a thirteen week slot.

Julie P said...

Hi, Helen,

It's an occupatioal hazard - we're always on the look out for things to write about. The trouble happens when you are with another writer and you both have the same idea at the same time!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

That was great going, Martin. I just keep going no matter what - if patience was an Olympic event I'd have the gold!


Julie xx