Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 18 June 2011

R is for ..... Reduce Rejection and Rate your own writing

Rejection. I'm not going to bang on about it. You all know my feelings on it as I've gone on about it many times before! A lot of writers see it as a negative issue and I can understand that. I've been there many, many times. You've done your very best, toiled and sweat blood over your precious work. You've sent it to an editor/publisher/agent, your heart full of expectation and excitement that this time you must have cracked it  -  only to have that rejection ping in your in-box or drop on your mat. It is disheartening and upsetting. I know I've felt that there is no point in carrying on writing as what's the point when all you get is rejections?

Stop right there! Rejection is a normal part of the writing process. You can't eliminate the risk of rejection completely but you can reduce it by doing thorough market research and learning as much as you can about the craft by reading, and practising your writing. Rejection is absolutely nothing to worry about. Turn it into  positive: it's not a rejection, it's a re marketing opportunity. Enough said.

If you don't believe in your ability to write good stuff then no-one else will. So rate your own work - learn to love it and don't be afraid to try writing something new. It's hard to love what you write but if you do it will show through in your writing and your writing will be better for it.

Happy writing

Julie xx

4 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Good advice, Julie. I always try to embrace rejection and value any feedback and comments as another's perspective, and a chance to consider the points from another angle.
x

Julie P said...

What isn't to the taste of one editor, might be to the taste of another, Bluestocking Mum! So it's always worth sending your rejected work out elsewhere.

Good luck!

Julie xx

Elizabeth Lord said...

Hi I'm Elizabeth, I'm new to blogging, but I've been writing for quite awhile and know how tough rejections can be, but never give because your effort will shine through in the end.

Great posting,Julie

Julie P said...

Hi, Elizabeth and welcome!

It certainly is worth carrying on with your writing. I had 40 short stories rejected before I got my first one published and it was so worth the effort to keep trying when that one story made it through!

Julie xx