Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 23 June 2011

W is for .......... Will it Happen? And if it Does, When?

Writers are not a patient lot, generally. The moment we ping off a submission via e-mail we are there, hunched over our computers, nervously tapping our fingers on the desk, waiting for the reply. And we wait ...... and we wait....... and we wait. Then we wait some more. If your sensible, while you're waiting for the verdict on your latest manuscript you will take your mind off the wait by getting stuck in to another piece of work. It's terribly frustrating waiting for news of your submissions so the more you can do to distract yourself and have something else ready if, God forbid, your manuscript is returned unwanted, the better.
It took me 40 short stories before I got one of the ruddy things accepted, so I wasn't an overnight success. And now in my third year of writing short stories, I've still only had four published. But they've been published - I didn't think it would ever happen. I've fared better with my articles. It can be soul destroying when the rejections start rolling in, though. I don't think anything prepares you for them. And with each rejection you get a bit more of your resolve and self confidence chipped away until you begin to wonder if all the effort you are putting into it is worth it.

It is worth it. Well I'm still here and still writing and sending out manuscripts: that makes me either mad or dedicated - there are some days when I'm  not sure which it is! No-one can tell you if or when it will happen - when you will get published and when you'll get published again after that. The only way you'll find out is to keep writing and keep subbing. As far as I can tell there is no logic to it. You can get twenty rejections and then, suddenly, out of the blue, two acceptances.

So keep writing and subbing  -  your next submission could be the one.

Julie xx

No comments: