Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 25 June 2011

Y is for Yellow Belly

I'm not the bravest of people. There are a lot of things out there that freak me out - wasps being the main culprits. I couldn't believe it when the housing officer told me they'd had a wasps' nest removed from the roof space of my dad's bungalow that housed approx 700 wasps! Yikes! If I'd have known that my dad wouldn't have seen me for dust. The mere thought that I had been sitting drinking coffee, dunking my biscuits with 700 wasps living just above my head makes my blood run cold!

Different people are scared of different things, and everyone is scared of something, whether they admit it or not. For some of us, it's the big stuff: dying, becoming incapacitated through a dreadful illness, losing our marbles. But, for others, it's the small stuff, like spiders, insects, and flying. Most of us can overcome our fears and although we are still afraid, we learn to live with that fear and not let it overtake our life. For instance, I can tolerate wasps up to a certain extent and I don't let my fear of them stop me going out of the house between May and October! That would be plain silly.

It's the same with writing. I held off from submitting any of my work to editors for a long time when I first started writing - too long! And it was the encouragement from a fellow writer that pushed me into making that final step. The thought that someone, other than my husband and closest friends would actually like my work and want to publish anything I'd written was totally alien to me and prevented me from having the courage to do it. I was a real yellow belly, a cowardly custard. It takes a lot to send your work out there but send it out you must.

Even now, I squirm sometimes and I'm reluctant to approach editors or send them my work. I have no idea why. Some of  those first time nerves have stayed with me I guess. And they'll always be there lurking, ready to throw me off balance, crouching, ready to do a ninja attack on my confidence. The only way to beat them is to send that work off anyway and gloat in their faces when you get something published  -  they hate that! It's worth it then to see your fears scuttle off under the rock from whence they came!

Paint your belly another colour -  the hue of courage, and send your work out there.
Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Diane Fordham said...

Lovely post Julie. You are more courageous than you think you are! The other day you reminded me of one of my favourite sayings, JUST DO IT! This inspired me to write a post for my Blog today .. thanks for that. If you get a chance please check it out x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Diane

I think that you do, at some point, just have to do it. It's the only way!

Julie xx

Reb Alexander said...

I think it's the most natural thing to not want to expose yourself to rejection or criticism - or even acceptance with criticism. I wish I was so confident about my work that I could just shrug off a rejection as someone's personal taste, but I still feel wounded and can't write for days after. But I still do it, I just wait for sunny days!

HelenMHunt said...

Definitely with you on the subject of wasps!

Julie P said...

Hi, Reb

It's devastating when those rejections come in but, unfortunately, they're part of the job. I find that some rejections hurt more than others and I am guilty of letting rejections stop me from writing sometimes.

May our sunny days come soon!
Julie xx

Julie P said...

Wasps just seem to go for me, Helen. I think it all stems from when my mum used to have jam jars with lemonade and smear of jam around them to trap the wasps. We had to run the wasp trap gauntlet to get up the back garden in the summer! Buzzy, stingy things!

Julie xx