Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Forward Motion

The best writing is fluid. It flows effortlessly from your pen or appears on your screen as if by magic. There's nothing more satisfying than being in your own personal writing zone where your whole being is fully engaged in the writing process and all of your senses have been deployed. It's a magical and exciting experience - and it's a shame it doesn't happen more often.

I can lose myself for hours in my writing sometimes, so much so that when I come out of my writing space I become a little disorientated. I've been so immersed in the lives and problems of my characters that it takes me a moment to come back to reality. I love it when that happens, when the characters have become so real to me that I can get to the heart of them. My husband knows when I've hit this stage as when he asks me a question he either gets no response or a gurgle that signifies I'm not really listening! He's a very patient and understanding man!

When you're in your writing zone, be very thankful and enjoy it. Don't waste it. Let your characters in and they might surprise you but they won't let you down.

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Heather P said...

HI Julie. Good advice for sure.I have been working on my novel for ever but I have come to love my characters. It's like they welcome me back when I get the chance to work on them some more. I understand getting immersed but I also love being able to blog. It gives me a chance to just unwind a little and let stuff out. Very cathartic.

Diane Fordham said...

So very true Julie. I love being in that 'writing zone'. (wish it happened more often, lol) Good post, thanks :-)

Olivia Ryan said...

Hi Julie - I just had to post this comment to say: I'm IN! I mean I've finally managed to get into your blog and (hopefully) comment on it! I've had such problems, every time I've tried, my system has frozen but let's hope it is now going to be OK. Just to let you know I haven't been ignoring you on purpose - I know I'm not the most regular blogger in the world but even so ...!! Hope your writing is going well, and YES, I agree about how lovely it is when it all takes off on its own like that! (Wish it happened every time!) x

Julie P said...

Isn't it funny how we become so close to our characters, Heather? Mind you, we spend so much time with them, it stands to reason that they get to us and mean something to us.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Bring on those writing zones, eh, Diane?!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hello, Olivia! And well done for getting through! There's been a lot of blogs I haven't been able to get into either - very frustrating!

Julie xx