Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 24 July 2011

Is a writer ever off duty?

When I was a nurse I knew what my duty rota was. I knew exactly when I was due to work nights and when I was due to work days. I also knew when my days off were (yay!) Okay, so it was rare to finish my shifts on time, (you can't just walk away from a poorly patient) and there was constant pressure to give up my days off to cover shifts, but I always knew  at some point I wouldn't be at work.

But for a writer it's different. As a writer can we ever be off duty? Ideas don't stick to a 9-5 pattern, or, indeed a shift pattern. Writers must always be alert to inspiration when it strikes - whatever time of day or night it may come. We must always be on the look out for a short story idea, a good topic for an article, or a line of conversation we hear that we can use as the basis of a poem. Writers have a certain amount of freedom in their occupation, unlike other jobs,   but it can also be a shackle. If you have time to write but the muse doesn't show, you can waste a lot of time! The perfect time for a writer to write, varies from writer to writer, so any time the writer feels comfortable with is optimum.

It can be frustrating when we're woken up with a story line running through our heads, or we hear a line of dialogue while we're out shopping and we have nothing to write it on. It's happened to me more than once. But even though I am  thinking about writing a lot, and I feel as though I'm never 'till closed', I still think that it's one of the best jobs in the world. We are allowed to lose ourselves in other people's worlds and fantasy worlds for a while and we sometimes get paid for it! How wonderful is that! We are paid for using our imaginations and story telling and telling other people's stories/writing about places, etc. We share our information and research with other people who are interested in the subject/story we have written about and what we have to say.

Remember, wherever you are, whatever you're doing there will be something you can turn into a story, poem, play or article. So happy writing and long may the inspiration keep flowing - you know you wouldn't want it any other way.

Julie xx

6 comments:

Bev Morley said...

Gosh, I can soooo relate to this post!

I often catch myself turning life into a plot without even realising I'm doing it!!

I'm just about to put a post on my blog about yet another source of inspiration, for articles rather than fiction though.

I really do believe that writing is a 24/7 "job", and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Simon Whaley said...

I always say that a writers works 24/7. Even when we are aslepp, our subconsicous minds will be working. And even when we're awake - we may be in the living room with the rest of the family, but our minds are often somewhere else! (Or is that just me?)

Julie P said...

Hi, Bev - neither would I have it any other way!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It can be so annoying for our other family members when we go off into our own little worlds in our minds, though, Simon!

Julie xx

Diane Fordham said...

Yet another of your posts I enjoyed reading - thank you Julie. Again, you have inspired me! x

Julie P said...

Hi, Diane

Glad to be of service, LOL!

Julie xx