Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 8 July 2011

Think Happy, Be Happy ......

I've been thinking a lot recently about the things that affect the quality and quantity of my writing. It's no surprise to learn that when I'm happy I write better. When I'm feeling low, for whatever reason, my confidence in my writing ability also dips which then has an effect on my writing output. Luckily, I don't feel low very often and I am aware of when I am and how it affects my writing and I can do something about it.

It's worth looking at what affects your own writing. I know lack of time is a biggie for most of us and another one is too many other commitments, but if you can pin down what's going on in your life and your head when you're writing well and when you're writing not so well, it can help you to plan your writing time better. You can also make allowances for when you know you're not going to be able to write, or be in the mood to write,  although I do advocate that you should write if you have the time even if you don't feel like it. I've had a few short stories written when I didn't feel like writing - it certainly lifted my mood!

A happy writer = happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Diane Fordham said...

Enjoyed your post thanks Julie. Moods.. we go through a fair few of them, don't we? (I sure do) I find myself writing my feelings down in a notebook I have called 'writing material' - the notes can be useful to incorporate into characters, especially for novel writing. I totally agree with you about writing when you don't feel like it, especially when you come up with a story, or even the start of one - a true mood lifter! :-)

Frances Garrood said...

I think it works the other way too, Julie. I feel happy when the writing's going; miserable when it isn't!

Teresa Ashby said...

Yay - I can get on your blog again :-)

Slightly different, but if I write a very sad story it cheers me up, as if I've written my sadness out whereas if I write something upbeat I end up feeling low - presumably used up my daily quota of happiness :-)

Julie P said...

Hi, Diane

Yes, moods that we experience are always great fodder for our characters and our own writing - we can give our characters life by giving them real emotions to play with - if we've experienced that mood/feeling ourselves we can give our characters some authenticity.

Happy moodiness!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

You and me both Frances! It's dire when the writing's not going so well.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hello, Teresa! Welcome back - may the Blogger bugs stay away!

I suppose it's like therapy, writing the sadness away. I have to avois writing about some subjects as they make me too sad!

Julie xx