Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 13 August 2011

A fine example of self-publishing at its best

I had a jaunt into Newport, Shropshire today. It's only about twenty minutes up the road from where I live and it has a book shop called The Book Nook. Now, I've never been to this book shop before, but the name intrigued me so I thought I'd better check it out. I also had another motive for going. Children's author Carole Anne Carr was going to be there at one of her many book signings.

Honestly, the woman's here there and everywhere! She does local shows, book shops and local schools - she never stops. She also is in her 70s and does it all herself: writing, editing, computer stuff to get it all ready for publication, marketing, selling - you name it she does it, with a little help from her grandson who designs and runs her website for her. She is a human dynamo! So, I decided that my family and I would pay her a surprise visit to see how her signing was going. It was wonderful to see her again.

We first met at a Wrekin Writer meeting a couple of years ago and I'd interviewed her for one of my Writing Magazine articles. She's since been a source of inspiration, motivation and friendship for me and her tenacity, determination and prolific writing never ceases to amaze me. She has self published several books now including First Wolf, Candledark and her latest Thin Time. I've been lucky enough to read all of them and they are all cracking reads. Do visit her blog and website.www.caroleannecarr.co.uk If you want to know anything about self publishing she's your woman. She's also great at giving you a kick up the bum when you need it!

Happy writing

Julie xx

2 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thank you so much, Julie, just the sort of boost I need at the moment - it was lovely to see you and your family today, very kind to support me. Four book signings down and I'm not thinking about how many left to go! xxx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole,

It was great to see you as well and have a look round the lovely Book Nook. I don't know where you get the energy from, though! Good luck for your next lot of book signings - then you have the school tours!

Julie xx