Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 6 August 2011

Firsts

I had some interesting news yesterday in that a short story I had entered into the NAWG competition has been commended. I was quite surprised but elated as because I hadn't heard anything until then, I'd assumed my story hadn't been chosen. It was the first time I'd entered this competition and the first time I'd written a story for older children. So, for me, to get anywhere at all is a bonus!

It made me think that maybe I should have a go at other writing projects I haven't tried before. I'm a fan of firsts now! We all remember the first time we tentatively put pen to paper to write our first piece. Then there's the first time we admit to ourselves that we are a writer, the first time we walked through the doors of our writers' group or a writing workshop, the first time we allowed others, apart from our family, to read our precious words, the first time we shakily read out our words to a group, the first time we approached an editor, the first time we submitted our work, the first (of many) rejections, the first acceptance, seeing our work in print for the first time. A writers' life is full of firsts!

So what's going to be your next first? Where are you going to take your writing?  Somewhere it's never been before? Be a fan of firsts - you never know where it may take you.

Happy writing

Julie xx

10 comments:

Jarmara Falconer said...

Well Done and good luck with your next First.

Frances Garrood said...

Very well done on your commendation, Julie!

I have a first - just sold a story to Denmark. It puzzles me that Scandanavian magazines buy lots of English stories(and this Denmark mag pays very well). They have to pay to have them translated, too, (my Danish isn't brilliant. In fact, it just isn't). Do they not have writers of their own? (Mind you, I'm not complaining!).

Suzanne Jones said...

Great news about your story, Julie. Well done.

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Jarmara! Here's to lots of firsts!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

That's excellent, Frances! I never even considered writing for Danish mags! Like you, my Danish is about as good as my maths skills (just not there!)
Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne! It's progress!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I like lots of Firsts (especially when the words after followed by 'Serial Rights sold'!

HelenMHunt said...

You never know what the next first will be!

Julie P said...

LOL, Simon! Don't we all!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

And that's what makes writing life so interesting, Helen! You don't hear anything for ages and then, suddenly, you sell a story.

Julie xx