Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 16 September 2011

What do You Know?

I picked up the Autumn 2011 People's Friend Fiction Special today. I haven't subbed to People's Friend for a couple of years now. I gave up after many, many rejections . I know, I know, the general advice is to keep going and it's great advice that I generally follow. But in this case I couldn't bear to! But, I'm not one yo say never say never and I'm going to read through it and see if I can write something the editor might like. Part of me is telling me not to bother - I didn't get anywhere last time, so what's changed that makes me think I'll be able to do it now?

Nothing really,  other than I've written a fair few stories since the last attempt at writing for them and I've has a couple published by other magazines. So I know I can do it. It's just a case of buckling down to it and subbing again. We'll see what happens. I can't state enough the importance of reading your chosen market over and over again, many different issues. Get a feel for the atmosphere and essence of the stories each magazine favours and then go away, think up some story ideas and write them, edit them and sub them. Chances are it will get rejected but there's always that smidgen of a chance it will be accepted. You just have do what I didn't do  -  keep going!


On the article writing front, I've been pitching to some new magazines that I haven't tried to pitch to before. So far one has come back with a no, but I live in hope! I have a lot more pitching left in me. I've had a mot more success with my article writing than I have with my fiction so I'm trying to expand on that by attempting to get published in new magazines. So it's just been a case of choosing the magazines I think I could write for, reading through them, jotting down my ideas, finding out how and who to pitch to and pitching away. I'll let you know how I get on.

Tomorrow morning I'm doing  workshop on genre at my local writing group and I have some fun and games planned for that! No we won't be putting our hands into a tub of jelly or tub of cold tinned spaghetti like we did as part of my last workshop -but it should be fun nonetheless. I love doing workshops - especially when they kick start someone's imagination and motivates them.

Happy writing

Julie xx

2 comments:

Diane Fordham said...

You inspire me Julie - always trying, always thinking and never ever giving up!

Suzanne Jones said...

Lots of luck with The People's Friend, Julie. I adore the magazine and have been reading it since I used to borrow my grandmother's copy when I was a child.

Hope you had fun at the workshop.

XX