Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Thank you, Lynne!

I was lucky enough to attend a wonderful workshop presented by Lynne Hackles last Saturday as part of the Wellington Town Council Literary Festival. In the morning we floated through the interesting subject of ghost writing and in the afternoon it was the turn of short stories.  I've never considered ghost writing as I have enough trouble getting my own writing done, never mind anyone else's! But it was a fascinating insight into the world of the ghost writer.

it was the short story writing section that really helped me, though. My hit rate for short stories is relatively low still, even though I work hard to write the best stories I can and sub as many as I can. So I was hopeful that Lynne would give me some pointers on how I might improve them and she didn't disappoint. I'm much closer to having my own 'lightbulb' moment, where I figure out just what it is that pleases editors enough to make them say yes to publishing my short stories!

I had the good news a couple of days before the workshop that The Weekly News had accepted another of my stories, so I know that I can write the stories editors want sometimes. I just need to write them in the right way for the right editor at the right time more often. And Lynne's workshop gave me the motivation and encouragement to carry on trying to achieve just that.

So thank you Lynne!

I'd recommend that as a writer you get out to as many writers' workshops as you can as they are well worth the effort and you do learn so much great information and advice through them. Who knows - the next writing workshop you go to you might get your own 'lightbulb' moment!

Happy writing

Julie xx

2 comments:

Diane Perry said...

I was so dissapointed that we couldn't make it Julie, It sounds like a great event. Well done on the Weekly News. I have started to study that one now and hope to send something to them in the future. Di x

Julie P said...

Hi, Di!

We missed you there. Yes do study the Weekly News - it's a good one to try.

Good luck and see you soon!

Julie xx