Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 29 October 2011

Winter Writerly Woes

Nights are drawing in fast. The temperature is getting cooler by the day. The clocks go back  tomorrow - oh yes, it's that time of year again. I can't believe that it'll be winter very soon. I don't know about anyone else but I always start to feel a little sad this time of year. It's nothing serious and I can't put my finger on why, but, thankfully, the feeling is only short lived, because as soon as winter starts proper, I start to feel better! I call them my Winter Writerly Woes.

It's not long til Christmas and New Year when the whole world seems to grind to a halt, including editors, so you know there's little point in sending pitches and you're not going to get any verdicts on your manuscripts that are already out there. It can be hard to keep writing over the winter when there is so much else to do (Christmas preparations -  need I say more?) When it's dark by five o'clock and I'm shivering from the cold all I want to do is get in the warm, eat stodge and get into a warm bed and go to sleep! The last thing I feel like doing is getting my computer out and typing.

But type I must! And I will be, like a writer possessed, over the month of November, when I embark on NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month - Yes I am doing it again!) This will be my third year and I do recommend that you try it: particularly if you've got writer's block or you've been saying you've always wanted to write a novel but have never got round to it. Believe me  -  by the middle of November you will have recovered from writer's block!

So, when the snow and ice come and the dark nights make you lethargic and listless, put the light and the heating on - put a woolly jumper on and get writing - come on, you know they'll be nothing much worth watching on the telly so you might as well spend the time writing. Just think of the short stories, poems, novels and articles or plays you'll have written by the time the evenings are lighter for later again!

Come on. Lets banish these winter wobbles!

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Valentine said...

Hi, I know how you feel about writing and the winter...

although, I don't do the NaNo thing. I can't write at demand. For me, it has to come, but it must be good for many because so many writers are blogging about it.

Good luck with it :)

http://valentinedefrancis.blogspot.com

Julie P said...

Hi, Valentine

Yes, NaNo is great for some people but it doesn't work for everyone. Once you get behind in your word count it can be difficult to catch up and you can panic when the words won't come! I had more time to do it over the past two years but I start a new job on Monday so my writing time is reduced. I shall still give NaNo a go but take it as it comes!

The clocks haven't even gone back get and I'm in danger of becoming a hermit!

Julie xx

Frances Garrood said...

Re NaNo, so many people seem to be doing it that there won't be anyone left to talk to...

Good luck, Julie!

Julie P said...

I'll still talk to you, Frances, honest! I haven't got as much time as last year to do NaNo as I start a new job tomorrow, but I'm determined to give it a good go!

Julie xx

Nick Wilford said...

I'm up in Scotland and hope it snows again like it did the last two years. That sounds perverse, as it causes the road network to grind to a halt and you can't get the kids to school, but the sight of it and that feeling of being stuck is really inspiring. And I write at night - moonlight on snow is lovely.

I think I would need more free time to do Nano than I have at the moment, and we're away in November, but will definitely try it one year!

Julie P said...

Hi, Nick - bet you get a lot more snow and ice than we do in wussy Shropshire! I love the snow as long as I don't have to drive in it. I loke walking in it as everything looks and feels so magical.

That's the problem I've got this year with NaNo - a new job means less writing time! But I'll do what I can - I want to enjoy it not stress over it!

Enjoy your writing

Julie xx