Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 5 November 2011

Getting Away With Murder ......

No, I haven't killed an one  -  although I might be in the mood to kill something by the middle of November and I'm still NaNo-ing! What I'm referring to is my decision to steer away from writing NaNo novels in the older children/teenager age range, towards a more adult audience and the crime genre.

I know they say you should write what you know, but I assure you that I haven't committed a crime or murdered anyone, but  I do read a lot of crime/thriller novels and crime related programmes like Waking The Dead, CSI, The Body Farm, DCI Banks, etc. So I thought I'd use NaNo as an opportunity to give writing a crime/thriller novel a go myself.

I'm excited as I had the idea for the crime novel before I started NaNo and had written down a fair whack of the plot and characters before hand. (I also came up with an idea for another crime/thriller novel at the same time!) This could be a new lease of writing for me.

I do fear, however, that I'm fast becoming a writer who doesn't finish their novel projects! But I am determined to get my other two NaNo novels polished. I am currently on draft two of both. My aim is, once I've got this year's NaNo over and done with, to go back to the first NaNo novel I did and get it finished. This way, I'll still have another novel to polish while the first is doing the rounds of agents and publishers - I won't be sitting down twiddling my thumbs (not that I get time to do that anyway!)

So what do you intend to do with your NaNo efforts? Are you writing it for fun? It has to be fun to write a NaNo novel - any novel, really, if you are to go the distance with it, or are you going to try and get it edited and published?

Happy NaNovember ;0)

Julie xx

6 comments:

Alison Runham said...

Hi Julie! Long time no comment :)
Yes I am doing Nano and like you trying something new - a 50,000 word pocket novel, although romance isn't a genre I've tried before. I'm hoping to send it to My Weekly.
Good luck with your crime thriller - just thinking about the plotting and research for that genre makes my head hurt, so it could be some time before I follow suit!
BTW I have left you an award on my blog here: http://wp.me/p1yAN3-83

Nari said...

Writing crime sounds like a great idea for you, especially if you;ve worked it mostly out already. How is NaNo going for you? I'm already punishing inanimate objests for my failure to meet the daily word minimum, and I am severley behind. I have made the foolish chouice of trying to take on a fantasy novel in a month... but anyway the more time spent whining the less time spent writing.
Good luck, with the previous novels you are working on too :)
Nari X

Nicole said...

I am on the other side of the world, where daylight savings has started and instead of winter wobbles, it is sunshine. The heat makes me feel drowsy and I feel like a snooze instead of sitting at the computer typing. Like you, I'm trying to dredge up the strength to commit murder on paper - but I hate to kill off a good character, so I have a lot to learn. Nano has started, I joined, but haven't typed a jot. Hope for rain so i am forced inside to type.

Julie P said...

Hi Alison, I hope your pocket novel goes well. NaNo is the perfect opportunity to attempt one of those.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Nari
I was a bit behind with naNo earlier but I think I'm catching up now. I had to give a big push iver the past two days and I think it's paying off! It's keeping the word count up that's hard. Once you get behind it's more difficult to catch up.

I just fancied committing murder for a change - on paper of course! The more I get into it, the more plot I get.

Good luck!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I'm doing a rain dance for you, Nicole!

Julie xx