Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 30 December 2011

Are You Positively Productive?

I had a surprise parcel delivered to me yesterday. It contained a rather large kick up the bum! It was a copy of Simon Whaley's marvellous new book The Positively Productive Writer which is out in January 2012. Now I know Simon very well and it is largely down to his frequent kicks up the bum that I ever get any writing done at all! His latest book looks at how thinking positively can kick start your writing and gives many, many tips and advice on how to be positive in the face of countless rejections and how to be more productive as a result.

The book also contains contributions from myself, Diane Perry - both of us members of the same writing group as Simon Wrekin Writers, Viv Hampshire (I can't find you on Blogspot, Viv, sorry  -  if anyone knows of a link I can put here to Viv's blog/ website please let me know, and  Lynne Hackles. It was such a privilege to be asked to contribute and it was very exciting to see Simon's finished book on my door mat!

As you know I am a positively productive writer myself but sometimes even I need a well targeted kick to get me going! And Simon's book doesn't disappoint - it did to me exactly what the title suggests and I was suitably moved to action. So far today I've finished the second draft of an article and written the first draft of a 1,200 word short story. I'd recommend you read Simon's book - you will be too afraid not to write, less he come after you with his boot!

On another positively productive note the fourth article of mine on writing groups is in the February 2012 issue of Writing Magazine in the Writers' News section along with Simon Whaley's article based on a section from the book. So being positive about your writing and ability to write does lead to more productivity and publication!

Thank you Simon! Bu,t as Simon says, being a positively productive writer only works if you're prepared to do the work and I so am. I hope you are too otherwise Simon will get his boot out again!

Happy writing

Julie xx

4 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

Oooh, writing books are my weakness, so off to order this one now.

Congratulations on your article.


XX

Julie P said...

Hi, Suzanne - me too! You won't be disappointed with this book either. I know I'm biased but it's true!

Happy New Year! Oh and I shall look forward to reading your short story I've just seen in People's Friend I bought this morning.

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Well done Julie, off to a flying start for the new year. Simon's book is wonderful, I was thrilled to get my copy and will read it over and over again. Happy new writing year and lots more luck! x

Julie P said...

Hi, Di,
Its a fab book isn't it!

Happy New Year and let's hope it brings great success for us all.
Julie xx