Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 26 December 2011

Fighting Talk

Well, it might be Boxing Day, but the gloves are off as far as my writing are concerned. Having enjoyed the festivities over the last couple of days, it's back to business for me. I've given myself a stern talking to and as actions speak louder than words and I dare not disobey myself I've finished that assignment for the Writers Bureau Journalism course I'm still doing, which I shall post forthwith,  and I've done the first draft of another article that will be sent by the end of the week.

Also, surprisingly, I've had a shower of short story ideas descend on me over the past few days. This happens quite frequently to me. I'll go for weeks without having a single ide and just when I've finished moaning about my lack of imagination and creativity out they all come. It's like the old Pringles advert: once you pop you can't stop! Some of my ideas are Christmas based but most of them aren't. I shall look forward to following these up in the New Year.

 I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, although the feature in February's Writing Forum on various writer's goals for the coming year made for interesting reading. But I do have a clear idea of how I want to progress with my writing in 2012. It's taken me some time to realise that writing and getting published are a slow process and the current economic climate, which is likely to remain in recession for a good few years yet isn't helping! But if I look back to 2007 when I started writing and to know - I haven't done very badly at all - but the work has to go on! And it is! Pull your finger out - enough mince pies - put down the chocolates and get writing.

Good luck

Julie xx

4 comments:

Diane Perry said...

I am feeling all fired up too Julie. It's a great time to plan new writing ideas and get going for the new year. Good luck with your writing plans in 2012.
Love Di
x

Olivia Ryan said...

Good luck Julie - as always, your attitude is an inspiration to us all and you deserve to succeed. You have certainly done well in a relatively short time so keep up the good work (and send off those Christmas stories anyway - if an editor one, he/she will keep it for next Christmas!).
Now to see whether Blogger lets me post this comment ....

Julie P said...

Hi, Di,

Yes it's wonderful to have the time to sit and thinkup new ideas for the coming year and beyond. I took my daughter to an indoor play area this morning and browsed through the multitude of old magazines there - there was quite a good variety. I came up with some ideas which surprised me.

Good luck

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Olivia!

Your comment got through - hurrah! Let's hope Blogger behaves itself now. And thank you for your kind comments - I'm always keen to encourage new writers to get going and it's great to have contact with more seasoned writers too. We're all learning.
Good luck for 2012

Julie xx