Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 17 December 2011

Never say never to good advice

When I look back to 2007 when I took up the challenge to get serious about my writing, I read lots of books on writing and scoured the magazine racks for writing magazines that would tell me how to write. I also did a writing course with the Open University. This was my big test. I thought that if I could pass a writing course then I would start sending my work out. I did pass and I did send my work out and promptly got many, many rejections! But I stuck at it and I'm so glad I did.

So, in the early months of my foray into writing, what advice did I find most useful? I've compiled a list of the writing tips that were passed on to me that I found most useful at the start and that have helped me along the way. I hope they will help you too. But if you've got any to add that have made you the writer you are then feel free to add them.

* Keep writing no matter how down hearted and tired of rejection you get. This was a key piece of advice for me.
*Read as much as you can in the genre of what you wish to write.
*Find out exactly how editors want to be approached, ie, by initial e-mail with a pitch/idea or the complete manuscript and do it - if they don't say you can do it in their guidelines then you can't!
*Join a writing group - there's nothing like face to face contact with other writers to get your creativity flowing and to realise that you are not alone and all writers face similar issues.
*Get yourself known on-line in writing forums and blogs, social networking, etc. A problem shared is a problem halved and you can not only get your own questions about writing sorted but you can help other writers too which is the best bit.
*Write lots and lots and lots and lots and lots.
*Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it - no-one will think you are stupid a part from yourself!
*Celebrate your successes no matter how small.
* You won't get published if you don't send your work out in the first place - so be brave!
*Enjoy the writing process. There's no point in doing it if it isn't fun.

Have fun writing!

8 comments:

Diane Perry said...

So positive Julie and this will carry me into 2012. You hve inspired me for years now ans I long for some of the success you have had with articles and short stories. Wishing you even more success for 2012 and thanks for sharing your great and informative blogs with us all. Di xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Wishing you lots of success in the coming year, Julie, and keep enjoying your adventure. x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Di! I believe that every success we have with our writing should be celebrated, no matter how small or big. Here's to the next exciting 12 months and all it will bring for our writing.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole and the same to you too. I hope you'll have the time for a rest over the festive period too.

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

This is a great list, Julie. Thank you for sharing.

XX

Diane Fordham said...

Thumbs on on your post Julie. Good advice there. Thank you :-)

Julie P said...

Hi, Suzanne

How's your hair today ? ;0)
I think, as writers, we need to stay positive and get our words down on to paper and get them edited and then get them out there! That's my writing mantra for the coming year.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Diane and thank you!

Happy Christmas

Julie xx