Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 15 January 2012

Time

We all have days when time just seems to fly away from us. Recently the days and weeks have just gone by so fast I feel as though I've been sucked up by a tornado and spat out the other end! One minute it was the run up to Christmas and here we are in the middle of January. Where did the time go?

We live in a time orientated world - we can't do anything without consulting the clock god. Time is so tight sometimes that something has to give and it can be tempting for that thing to be our writing. But, if we want to published and carry on being published then that time we have to write is precious and as essential to our writing  as a computer or pen and paper.

So next time you're feeling frazzled with your back against the wall, children screaming for attention, partner grumping around because he can't find the car keys, mother-in-law on the phone complaining because you haven't visited for a week, your boss demanding you have that report on his desk by Monday, the carpet taking a life of its own with all the dust and debris on it, remember your writing because no-one else will. You owe it to your writing to put it higher on your list of to-do things. Get your partner a key rack to hang his keys on so they're always kept in one place, give your children an activity to do (hoovering the carpet is a good one if they're old enough - well they have to do something to earn their pocket money don't they?) Then get yourself off to do some writing. It's the one activity that no-one else can do for you - the household chores, shopping, child entertainment, etc, can all be done just as well by someone else for a while. So let it go and give yourself some writing time. It's not being selfish, it's investing in yourself and your writing and that can only be good for you and your family and friends.

It's something I've been struggling with for a few weeks as other things have taken priority. I've been doing the typical stiff upper lip English women's thing of trying to do it all, which, I have found out, you can't ! So I intend to take my own advice and let it go and get back to my writing because I'm never truly happy unless I write. I have a few articles in the pipeline that have been commissioned and a couple of short stories that I want to get edited and subbed so I need the time to do them justice. And you need time for your writing too.

Happy writing

Julie xx

3 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

Happy writing to you, too, Julie.

I could really use an extra three or four hours a day - then I might have a hope of getting everything done.

XX

Nari said...

Julie, I so know what you mean. This is exactly how I have been feeling for the past month (has it really been that long?). Even in my days off it comes round to the evening, and I haven't had a second to sit down and write because of everything else that needs doing. So, today I let the housework do itself, even though I had an impromptu day off, and I sat my bum on that chair. only 200 words got done, but they jolly well got done. I plan to feed myself and the husband and then retreat once more.
Although I have to say, the washing up seems to be struggling with itself...
Good luck with the articles :)
Nari X

Julie P said...

There's never enough time in the day is there, Suzanne?!

200 words are better than none, Nari. Well done for persevering.

Julie xx