Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Are You Worth it?

Yes, those adverts proclaiming us to be 'worth it' just because we choose a certain brand of hairspray or shampoo or whatever annoy me too, but they do make me think. Is it worth all the hard work of writing my novel or short story, editing them umpteen times, investing my time and life into such big projects (let's face it, time is marching on and none of us are getting any younger - particularly those of us over 40), when, due to the recession and the thousands of other writers trying to get published as well, my chances of getting published are so low?

What drives me and countless other writers to slog away at it even though we know the chances of us actually becoming published is actually quite slim? Yes, there are people who make it through but they're just a drop in the ocean. There are many, many more who do not. Yet they and we still beaver away. Is it an affliction? Something we cannot help? Or do we delude ourselves that we will be the ones to break through?

If you dwell on these rather negative issues then you will find that your doubts will become a self fulfilling prophecy . You think it so shall it be. Imagine if J K Rowling had given up, or if Charles Dickens had  thrown down his quill!  They probably would have had just as equally negative thoughts about their ability to become published, especially George Elliot who was writing in a man's world. Did they give up? No they ruddy well did not! They kept going and so should we. They all had to start somewhere - exactly where we start from -  as an unknown writer wondering why the hell they are doing it!

I know it's challenging sometimes and that no matter how hard we try, how hard we work, there are no guarantees that we will achieve our goal of becoming published. I don't know what the odds are for getting published but I should imagine they aren't very encouraging. But no matter how slim that chance, how lost and unbelieving we are, some writers make it through and if you keep going so might you and I. One thing is for sure - if we don't keep trying them we won't get published. I know what I'm going to do.

So yes, we are all worth it! I want to see that swishing hair now - especially you Mr Whaley and Mr White ;0)

Happy writing and hair swishing!

Julie xx

4 comments:

Diane Perry said...

I'm swishing Julie, I'm swishing! Yes it's incredibly difficult to get published and it's easy to give up but I refuse to do so. I will keep swishing until someone does say yes! xx

Julie P said...

You'll probably be swishing a lot better that I will be due to you having longer hair than me - I shall have to have hair extensions!

That's the spirit, Di! I got two short stories rejected yesterday (ouch and ouchee) But I'm still determined, if a little bruised!

Onwards and upwards.

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

When I swish, my hair is Head & Shoulders above the rest ;-)

Julie P said...

I can tell you're feeling better, Mr Whaley. Best not mention herbalessence shampoos and conditioners then ;0)