Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 9 February 2012

Get Out!

It's alright. You haven't offended me and I wasn't shouting at you to get out. What I'm suggesting is that you get up off your chair, put your pen and paper down, shut down your computer and get out into the big wide world - well, your neighbourhood at least.

Now that the weather is slightly warmer (hah!) and the days are getting longer (yay!) it's time to peel off that winter coat and that winter mentality and step outside your front door. Sitting huddled at your desk, hunched over your computer may do wonders for your productivity. After all, you don't want to go out in the freezing weather or rain and it's all too tempting to hide away in your house, so having the excuse to use the time writing is good, right? Wrong. It does nothing for your waistline and overall fitness - something I've been thinking about. The longer you sit the bigger your bum becomes - it's not rocket science. And, actually, if you spend most of your time stuck indoors it doesn't do much for your state of mind either.

That's why I'm suggesting you might like to get out there and go for a walk. All that Spring (almost) sunshine and fresh air will put a spring in your step and blow your cobwebs away and your writing will thank you for it. Get out in the fresh air and get a fresh perspective. Spring is a time for new beginnings and new life, so it's time to open your doors and get walking. Be inspired, get motivated and get fit in the process. You don't have to go far - just a gentle stroll (or in my case, because my garden is so small, a few steps) around your garden will do the trick. You never know what it might lead to.

How is your Love Writing Month going?

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Not very well at all. But I'll try to ignore other things as much as possible. In fact, I've been pushing the networking so hard I'm meeting myself coming back! Hope you are going from strength to strength, Julie. xx

Nari said...

You are absolutely right - a change of scenery is always a good way to gt new idea coming. Just right ow I have to make sure I'm not falling face down in the snow, as it is very icy around our house haha.
Going ok. I'm on my brand new machine :)which I'm really hoping will increase my productivity. I dont hve that feeling of being stuck to my desk.
Nari X

Diane Fordham said...

Hello Julie - you are absolutely right about getting out there. I am very guilty of getting carried away with writing and locking myself away. This weekend I plan to get out for a couple of beach days (still summer over here). :-)

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole, Nari and Diane - I hope you all manage to get out and about at some point this weekend.

Slow down, Carole!You're making me dizzy! Always an inspiration.

Nari - so you're unplugger now, eh?

Diane - I am very jealous! Could do with a beach day or two myself - far too cold, though!

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

It's going so well Julie, despite a few hiccups along the way with a poorly horse, I have managed to do something every day. I have spent most of my time outside and now craving to get in the warm and write. It is great to be outside though if the weather is nice, it can be so inspiring. xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di

I hop your horse is feeling much better now, bless him.

You're right about the outside being inspirational. I went out for a walk today and the tops of the trees were sparkling like diamonds in the sun - the ice hadn't yet melted up in the top branches. It was absolutely magical.

Julie xx