Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 4 February 2012

Positive Thinking works

You may remember me talking about Simon Whaley's new book The Positively Productive Writer that was published a couple of weeks ago.



Having now read it twice, cover to cover, and taken on board the advice it contains, I have to say that thinking positively about your writing really works. Take this as an example of why; I'm just getting over a particularly annoying bout of bronchitis and was feeling understandably low. I'm not the best at being ill as I don't like sitting around being unable to get what I need to get done!


 I'd come to a standstill in my quest to branch out into new markets with my articles, but Simon's words kept running through my head and so I decided to just go for it and pitch away.

Imagine my surprise, when less than a day later, one of my pitches was accepted by a magazine I've not written for, or pitched to before!  So what have I learnt  from this? That thinking that I can do it means I did do it and I had a positive outcome which means I'm more productive as a result! I've also sent out several other pitches to magazines I've not approached before, so we'll wait and see what happens there too.



Of course, not all editors are able to respond that quickly and writing pitches and waiting for replies does usually take time. Writing, in many ways, is as much a game of patience as it is talent, determination and hard work. So if you don't get through the first time, I'd definitely advise to keep going - it works for me! Don't be afraid to approach new markets. I was fully prepared for my pitch to be rejected as this is what usually happens - but, on this occasion, it didn't. It's well worth trying and persevering.

I think what helped me was that I not only gave them the pitch but I also gave them a mini biography of my writing experiences to date as well as some of my related qualifications and experiences to show I had the experience and knowledge to write about the subject I pitched. Even if you don't have relevant qualifications you will have some experience, or know someone who has the experience and information you require for your article and it's important to let the editor know our credentials. It might mean the difference between an acceptance or rejection. You have to show the editor that you mean business and can deliver what they want. This particular editor doesn't know me from the hundreds of other free lance writers out there who send in pitches to them every week so it was up to me to show them what I could do. I'm looking forward to writing the article!

I hope your challenge is going well and you are falling in love with your writing again throughout the month of February. I know I am -which is a good thing, seeing as I have a few commissioned articles on the go at the moment!


Good luck and happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Simon Whaley said...

So, I have the power to turn you into a smiling chimpanzee, do I? Not quite what I was expecting, but I'm very happy for you!

Seriously though - congrats on the pitch! Just shows you, doesn't it?

Diane Perry said...

Well done Julie that's great news. I tried a pitch to new editor too so waiting to hear back. It's great to keep positive isn't it? That way you always have hope.

Nari said...

Well done on the pitch :) Bet that made you feel better.
Thank you for pushing this challenge, I'm doing really well with writing at least 10 minutes every day. Because I always think, well 10 minutes isn't that much time, so even if it's the end of the day and I'm in my pyjamas, I can tap out 10 minutes. And I have thus far ended up doing a lot longer that. I've been doing about 400 words a day, which is good. Ok so it's not Nano standards, but after a long day at work, I think that's pretty good :)
So thank you Julie :)
Nari X

Julie P said...

Hi, Simon - I just thought the chimp looked funny and it's not a bad likeness, eh?!

You never know what the outcome of a pitch will be until you pitch it.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di,

Thank you! Yes, I always try and have a few pitches out there so that when one is rejected, I still might get a yes from one of the others.

I also think it's important, after rejections, to keep sending those pitches out so the editor can see your determination and that you're not just a one idea pony!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Nari,

It did thanks!
And well done on your ten mins a day - it's achievable and you've stuck at it which is wonderful!

Julie xx