Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Give it a Go, You Never Know

 I recently had a series of six articles commissioned for Writers' News, part of Writing Magazine. Five of them have already been published. I took a risk in pitching a series but I thought nothing ventured, nothing gained and just went for it. Thankfully my cheek paid off! But what has pleased me most about this series is the fact that after one of the articles about critiquing was published the magazine received a letter from a writing group that had read the article and decided to put the advice it contained into practice. They were estatic about the results.

It's always nice to get feedback about your articles from readers as it not only proves that someone actually read it, but that the advice inside it works! It also fills up your motivation tanks. I've had letters about a couple of my articles before from people that have read them. Luckily they have all been positive! I think I might cry if they were negative ;0)

I've never had a series of articles published before and I'd definately pitch another series again. It might seem daunting when a lot of your single articles ideas are getting rejected, but don't be put off by that. Pitching a series tells an editor that you have thought hard about the subject and that you could provide them with a steady stream of content. So pitching a series is worth a shot.

When your pitching a series like I did it's important to take note of the following.

1. Tell the editor the general theme
2. Then break it down under sub headings - one heading for each of the articles within the series.
3. Include brief details of people who you intend to quote - I don't mean specific names, unless you're sure as you possibly won't know yet until the commission is gained - but you could be general, ie, a writer, or an editor, etc.
4. Tell the editor why you are the best person to write the article and what it is about your series that you think will be of interest/use to readers.

Let 'give it a go - you never know,' be your new mantra!

Happy writing

Julie xx

2 comments:

Diane Fordham said...

Well done Julie. Love that new mantra: 'Give it a go - you never know.' Excellent! x

Julie P said...

Got to keep trying, Diane!
Julie xx