Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

No such word as no

There are a few times in my life when I know that I have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm sure most of us have. But each of these times, no matter how anxiety filled they may have been, have usually taught me a valuable lesson - obviously, the lesson was not never to bite off more than I can chew as I still do it!
                                                    
What is has done has taught me not to be afraid to stretch myself, to never let my inner killjoy to stop me from trying something new or taking one step further than I have before. And this has also been true with my writing.

I believe that the word no shouldn't be in a writer's vocabulary. One of my first instincts, when asked to write something or to approach a new market with an idea would have been in the past to say no. I would convince myself that I couldn't do it and that there were loads of other, better writers out there than me who could and would do it to a higher standard than me.

Today I think that's hogwash! Yes, there are lots of writers out there but just because there are lots of writers doesn't mean that they can write better than me or you. Writers have to push themselves now and then even when the risk of failure is high. It's good to take ourselves out of our comfort zone and take that risk. Yes, many rejections may come but the mark of a true writer is someone who accepts rejections for what they are and learns from them then moves on and writes some more, implementing what they have learnt. For me it's the only way forward.

                                                                  
So banish the word no from your writing life and take up that challenge, pitch that idea, approach that agent or publisher - you'll never know if you don't try.

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Jarmara Falconer said...

I keep trying to tell myself that too, Julie, but I still get scare.

Diane Fordham said...

Here, here Julie. You have motivated me. Great post x

Martin said...

You're absolutely right, Julie. Trust your talent, and have a go!

Julie P said...

Hi, Jamara,

So do I! But I just bite the bullet and go for it - sometimes I'm successful, but sometimes I'm not.
So get biting those bullets!
Julie xx

Julie P said...

Go for it Diane!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Got to have a go, Martin!

Julie xx