Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Get it Done!

Procrastination - the scourge of the writer. We all do it. We just sit down to write when we discover twenty or so other things we could or should be doing. The temptation to get off our backsides and see to those other things is tremendous and once the urge has set in it's difficult to resist - difficult, but not impossible.

It's funny how there are some days when all I want to do is write, yet others, usually when I have a deadline looming or I'm in the middle of a project that's giving me some trouble, when I would rather be hoovering the lounge, tidying my office (actually that does need doing .....) reading the paper, shopping, etc, etc, etc - the list goes on. But I know that the only thing I should be doing is writing because it's what I do and if I don't do it, no-one else will do it for me. I also can't get published what I don't get written.

Now, I consider myself to be fairly well motivated and determined to succeed, but even I can't be bothered sometimes! I think it does us good, as writers, to take a break from it all and do something else, as long as it doesn't turn into too long a break and we fall too deeply into that well of procrastination. Once you get out of the habit, it can be a struggle to get yourself back into the mindset of a writer.

A lot of it is down to psychology - if you tell yourself one more day off won't hurt then that's what you'll believe. But if you tell yourself that, actually, one more day off means 1000 less words written, a day's more work I'll have to do to enable me to finish my writing project, then it soon puts the procrastination beast in its place.

You've got to get it done sometime, so why not now? Write yourself to-do lists if they help. They help me! In fact, I'm not sure I could function without them! So push procrastination aside and get some of your writing jobs done - you'll feel much better after it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get on with tidying my office ......

Happy writing

Julie

4 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Read a short book on Kindle - and I mean short - on how to get things done and it has made such a difference to me. I've even completed my first draft of River Dark thanks to her! x

Yvonne Sarah Lewis said...

How true. I find a deadline or target helps. ScriptFrenzy and Nanowrimo certainly helped me, last year.
Now I'm considering a photographic project that will absorb a lot of time, but it does mean I've got a window before it starts, in which I can (must) get on with my current writing project!

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole - anything that get's you to get things done is a boost!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Yvonne,

Yes, NaNo helped me too and I'm looking forward to doing that again this year. I'm a bit pushed for writing time at the moment with several articles on the go and scouting committments but every spare minute I get I'll be spending it writing!

Julie xx