Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Here We Go Again!

More short stories rejected (three in one week!) It's enough to make a writer weep and give up. Or is it?
I've had more rejections now than I care to remember and I have learned that the trick is to shrug and keep on writing. I do wonder sometimes if I'm banging my head against a brick wall, but I've also learned that I have greater success with articles than I do with short stories - so that's what I've been concentrating on of late. Should I give up on the short stories and just write articles? No way!

I need to shift the focus back to the short stories, narrow it down and only target the markets I've had success with in the past for a while before I widen my sights again. I still have four short stories out there and there would be no harm in getting a few more out there. Della Galton - one of the queens of the short story writers, sends loads of short story subs out there, as does Teresa Ashby - it's no coincidence that they're the names we see time and time again in the fiction sections of the women's mags. They are there because they write and write and write and practise their art - they also send out many more subs than I do.

So, off we go again! Luckily I have more short story ideas to work on, and a collection of women's mags with fiction in them to read, so let's hope there is some success soon. Best of luck to the other womag writers out there who are waiting for verdicts too.

Happy writing

7 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Know this can depend on many things, if the mag has just rec. a story with the same theme, if the person reading it has a dislike of the theme. Just a thought, I get together all those that were accepted and those not and like the old school adage, compare and contrast! Good Luck. xx

Diane Perry said...

That's the spirit Julie, I must admit when I get a story rejected I feel that I don't want to be bothered for a while and leave it ages before being brave enough to send another.You have the right attitude. You have done before and you will do it again. Good Luck. Di xxx

Teresa Ashby said...

I've had two so far this week, Julie. But you're right - the trick is to write and write and don't give up!
Hope you get some good news soon x

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Julie I have a lovely book of quotes for writers and one of those is, loosely translate, if you want to buy a mansion with your earnings as a writer you need to have the rejection slips to paper it. So think positive - you're on your way xx

Jarmara Falconer said...

Take a fresh look at the ones that have be rejected. Get a friend who is a reader rather than someone who writes to be very honest with you to read each of the stories and tell you what they like or dislike about the stories. Whether it's the plot, characters, the flow, beginning, endings etc.

They can't just say they like it or dislike, they must tell you in detail.

I hope this is of some help to you.

suzy doodling said...

Hi Julie,
Sorry to hear about the r's. I also seem to have more acceptances with articles, but I don't send out much fiction. We should keep at it. I know you've had acceptances with Weekly News, keep targeting that, and Womans' Weekly, and People's Friend, and Yours, and Take a Break, and I should be doing the same....:))Good luck, and keep on writing and submitting...

Julie P said...

Carole Ann: thank you! I certainly won't be giving up any time soon.

Hi, Di: it can be difficult, after a rejection, to get going again, but the longer you leave it the worse it gets, I find. I'm trying now to leave it a couple of weeks but no longer before I get the story out again and see how I can improve it. We shall overcome though!

Teresa - people don't realise that successful womag writers such as yourself also get rejections sometimes so I think it helps to know that rejections don't disappear just because yo've been published! It's ruddy hard work, isn't it! Good luck with your current subs too.

Sue, don't think I'll be going for mansion standards, unless I win the lottery, lol! But more time to write short stories would be nice.

Thanks Jarmara - I appreciate your advice.

Hi, Suzi - you and me both! I do love both article and fiction writing as you do. Good luck!

Julie xx