Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

When Inspiration Strikes

Where inspiration comes from never ceases to amaze me. I can be sitting there, quite innocently, just flicking through the TV channels, when the first few lines of a short story will pop into my head, or two characters talking to each other, the title of a short story - the skeleton of a plot for a novel. They just seem to appear from nowhere. There, quite often, is no relevance to whatever I was watching on the telly. So where does it come from?

Writing ideas are, of course, all around us. As writers we are, or should be, inquisitive and observant, taking notice of what is going on around us: snippets of conversation, the way someone walks or laughs, why is that woman sitting with her back to that man? Do they know each other or are they strangers? There are so many possibilities and opportunities when we people watch. A writer is never short of potential writing material.

It happened to me this morning. I was flicking through TV channels (I have a stinking cold and don't feel up to doing much else) when I saw Patrick Moore and his Sky at Night chums and there it was - an idea for a novel and I immediately wrote two sides of A4 of that idea. Thank you Patrick!

So strike when the iron's hot when inspiration comes to you and get it written down. It might come to something, it might not, but you have to give it a fair chance. Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll write it down later because a) you won't remember, and b) you'll kick yourself that you didn't write it down earlier!

I hope inspiration comes to you soon. If it doesn't, get out there and find some.

Happy writing

Julie

2 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

I'm trying to find the courage to edit Chapter 2, yes I'm back at the beginning again! Now I DO need inspiration, xx

Diane Perry said...

It's a great feeling isn't it Julie? I had a burst of inspiration during the last 10 minutes of my lunch break yesterday. I couldn't write things down quick enough. At least I can carry on at the start of my break today and get even more done. x