Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 1 July 2012

Wherever You Go

I am prone to having a wander every now and then. Well, I tend to walk every day, if I can. It's good exercise and excellent for clearing the cobwebs. So, whatever the weather I can be seen tromping round the local area and beyond, sometimes. I'd thoroughly recommend it. Not only is it good for your health but it's also good for creativity too.

I like nothing more than to have a walk around somewhere I haven't been to before or for a while. I'm a bit of an explorer and it's amazing what pops into my head when I'm walking. I take great notice of what I see, hear and smell all around me. I recently walked up a road, out towards the countryside that I had never walked down before -  crazy when I've lived in the area for over ten years!

I saw some lovely houses, a large, long-haired Alsatian dog barking at me from behind a worryingly low wall and if he had wanted to he could have cleared the wall and chased me up the road! But, thankfully, he didn't! I smelled the freshly mown grass of the verge I was walking along and felt my ankle rock as my feet transversed the uneven surface full of clumps of grass and hollows - the prickling sensation on my ankles of the stubby remains of the grass that had dried. I heard the swoosh of traffic (not many cars) as it passed me and the roar of a motorbike as it accelerated out of a driveway, the electronic automatic gates squealing to a close behind it. I saw the Shropshire plain, punctuated by the Wrekin and the Clee hills and the Long Mynd in the far distance - absolutely breath taking and inspiring.

So next time you are out and about, try walking somewhere new and really look and listen to what is going on around you - take your camera and notebook and pause to take it all in. Use every sense and take the opportunity to nourish your creativity. Not only will you return refreshed and exercised but you'll have some creative material to work on.

Happy hiking and writing

Julie

2 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi Julie, I wondered if you would kindly feature my ebook free promotion giveaway, two children's books on your blog? for the 6th to 9th and the 12th to the 13th July please? Don't worry if that is a problem. Kind regards, Carole.

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole, yes that's fine!

Julie xx